Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why are there duplicate contacts on my iphone and in my icloud?

When opening contacts on my iPhone, I find multiple duplicate names in the iCloud group. I checked the iCloud storage, and sure enough there are the same duplicates that appeared on my iPhone. But the issue is not limited to my iPhone, my MacBook Air also has the same problem, which I believe is a problem Apple created.

How do we remove, restore and in general resolve the fact that looking for ADELINE in my contacts means I have to scroll through most likely 100 repeats of ACME contact. It seems that in each letter there is one contact that is repeated over and over again. What is Apple doing about this problem, and do not say that I have to manually delete 2600 names because you screwed up. There has to be a work around that is not all time consuming.

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 7:36 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 7:42 AM

Hello,

With the release of iOS 16 you can now merge duplicates contacts (i.e. getting rid of any and all duplicates). Please make sure your iPhone supports and is updated to iOS 16. You can learn how to merge contacts here: Get rid of duplicate contacts on iPhone - Apple Support.

I hope this solves your issue.

4 replies

Sep 27, 2022 7:46 AM in response to maricarmen8

If you have signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network in Mac and iPhone or other apple devices the contacts on each device will get synced , if the same contacts are in devices they will be seen as duplicates ( as if you had already created contacts in Mac and the same are in iPhone ) .

To avoid it , disconnect the desired device by just signing out from Apple ID account , then delete the duplicate contacts in each device .

When Apple ID is signed in Mac and application contact is turned on Set up iCloud features on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

If you select duplicate contacts from Mac and delete them , automatically they will be deleted from iCloud.com

The duplicates contacts ( they will be under iCloud section > in All iCloud ) are shown in Mac address book as well as in iCloud.com if these duplicate contacts are selected from Mac address book use command and A keys and click on command and delete key they will be deleted condition they must be in series and not randomly placed , as important contacts will also be deleted .

If they are randomly placed select important contacts that are not to be deleted in on my Mac section , just select use command and A keys , copy use command and C keys and paste use command and V keys .

The duplicate contacts can also be in various groups in iCloud.com Create a group of contacts on iCloud.com - Apple Support created and they will be shown in All contacts of Mac address book ( see the first option ) .

You need to find out duplicate contacts of address book search from various groups , All contacts , All iCloud and another way is create a group name as say duplicate contacts1 find out all duplicates and club in this folder and finally delete this folder it will be removed from address book / iCloud.com

The Iphone / Mac are synced , the duplicate contacts will be deleted .

See the article If you see duplicate contacts after setting up iCloud Contacts - Apple Support

Sep 27, 2022 9:05 AM in response to pjswiz

You are speaking of the iPhone, however, like I stated, the problem appears in my MACAIR as well. As I apply you resolution, again we come up with the deficiency of the iCloud system. The problem is not with me having duplicate MY CARDs, but that I have duplicate other people cards!

And you again give no quick solution for the duplicates, instead Apple tells me that I have to spend days, literally cleaning out the mess they caused. Bad business and for business.

Sep 28, 2022 5:48 AM in response to maricarmen8

The feature is brand new with the release of iOS 16. macOS Ventura hasn't been released yet, but it will most likely be a feature once it is released.

If your iCloud is sync properly on both your iPhone and MacBook Air, once you merge the duplicates on your iPhone they should be removed on your MacBook as well. The support page I linked above gives an explanation on how to merge all contacts that are duplicates on your iPhone with one button. You no longer need to go in one-by-one. This feature also exists for duplicate photos in the Photos app.

Make sure your iPhone is updated to iOS 16 before trying to use this new feature. Also make sure your MacBook Air and iPhone are both synced to iCloud. If it doesn't fix anything on your MacBook Air you can wait for macOS Ventura which will most likely include this feature as well.

why are there duplicate contacts on my iphone and in my icloud?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.