Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility

I suspect something is wrong. When I run Disk Utility on My 2013 Macbook Pro I see the following image. Is this correct or is there something I need to fix?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 1:35 PM

macOS has changed the drive layouts beginning with macOS 10.15 Catalina. macOS now utilized multiple APFS volumes for the normal operation of macOS which macOS tries to hide from the user when using the Finder so everything appears as a single volume like it did in earlier versions of macOS. See these Apple article for details:

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support

Signed system volume security in iOS, iPadOS, and macOS - Apple Support

The only thing I see that may be off is it only displays two APFS volumes in your screenshot when I think it should display several more (although it has been a while since I used Disk Utility on Catalina -- Apple keeps changing the behavior of macOS and their apps so it is hard to keep track). With macOS 10.15 I would expect to at least see an "Update" volume as well.

It would help to know if you are having any problems with macOS or whether you are just surprised by the new drive layout.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2022 1:35 PM in response to RickSmith

macOS has changed the drive layouts beginning with macOS 10.15 Catalina. macOS now utilized multiple APFS volumes for the normal operation of macOS which macOS tries to hide from the user when using the Finder so everything appears as a single volume like it did in earlier versions of macOS. See these Apple article for details:

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support

Signed system volume security in iOS, iPadOS, and macOS - Apple Support

The only thing I see that may be off is it only displays two APFS volumes in your screenshot when I think it should display several more (although it has been a while since I used Disk Utility on Catalina -- Apple keeps changing the behavior of macOS and their apps so it is hard to keep track). With macOS 10.15 I would expect to at least see an "Update" volume as well.

It would help to know if you are having any problems with macOS or whether you are just surprised by the new drive layout.

Sep 27, 2022 6:31 PM in response to RickSmith

To look for possible software issues, run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper. Do this before doing anything else so we get the most information into the report.

Try running Disk Utility First Aid on the hidden Container. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" so that the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if First Aid says everything is "Ok", click "Show Details" and scroll back through the report to see if any unfixed errors are listed. If there are unfixed errors, then try running First Aid from Internet Recovery Mode (Command + Option + R), otherwise it will require erasing the whole physical drive before reinstalling macOS and restoring from a backup.

Run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.