Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

latest software version for ipad pro 4th generation?

What is the latest software version for iPad Pro 4th generation?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 1:34 PM

11 replies

Sep 29, 2022 4:27 AM in response to Alionski

Alionski wrote:

I think you misunderstood me. I updated my iPhone to iOS 16 and the phone made an automatic backup on iCloud over night. Some days later I got my iPad and as I wanted to set it up the device (iPad) told me that I can not install the new iPad via iCloud backup because the backup is from an iOS16 device but the iPad has the OS 15.7

Unlike iOS16 for iPhone, released 12th September, iPadOS16 is not due for release until sometime in October. For reasons known only to Apple, release dates for iOS for iPhone and iPadOS for iPad have been deliberately staggered.

However, iPadOS 15.7 was also released 12th September - incorporating essential security updates.

About the security content of iOS 15.7 and iPadOS 15.7 - Apple Support

While iOS16 is available for iPhone, iPhone owners have the option to just install iOS15.7 at this time.

More information about the forthcoming iPadOS16 can be found here:

iPadOS 16 Preview - Apple

When iPadOS16 is released, it will be available for these models of iPad:

• iPad Pro (all models)
  • iPad Air (3rd generation and later)
  • iPad (5th generation and later)
  • iPad mini (5th generation and later)

Transfer of data, or restoration of a backup, can only be achieved where the iOS/iPadOS version installed on the source device is the same or earlier than that of the destination device. Put another way, the destination device (here your iPad with iPadOS 15.7) cannot receive data transfer from an iPhone with iOS16.x installed - or be restored from an iOS16 backup.

When iPadOS16 for iPad is released sometime next month, you’ll not have this problem.

Sep 28, 2022 2:12 PM in response to Alionski

You were obviously running a beta version. There is no way to restore an iPadOS 16 backup at this time. You can remove the beta, but unless you have an archived backup as Apple recommends, you cannot restore that iPadOS 16 backup to your new device.

How to uninstall iOS or iPadOS beta software - Apple Support

If you had done some research, you would have known that 16 would not be out until October.

This states that iPadOS was coming in October.

iPadOS 16 Preview - Apple

Sep 28, 2022 1:21 PM in response to MichelPM

Does by any chance anyone of you know how I can set my new iPad Pro up via iCloud? I only have iOS16 backups but when setting up the iPad I can‘t choose iOS16 backups because iPadOS16 isn‘t out yet.

How come the second largest company in the world wasn‘t aware of the problems involved in bringing iOS16 without updating iPadOS simultaneously?!

Thank you all in advance!

Sep 28, 2022 8:47 PM in response to Demo

I think you misunderstood me. I updated my iPhone to iOS 16 and the phone made an automatic backup on iCloud over night. Some days later I got my iPad and as I wanted to set it up the device (iPad) told me that I can not install the new iPad via iCloud backup because the backup is from an iOS16 device but the iPad has the OS 15.7

Sep 29, 2022 4:05 AM in response to Alionski

OK. I’m sorry to say you’re stuck. You are correct in that higher OS backups cannot be installed over lower devices. (And with the separation of iOS and iPADOS I’m not sure if it will work even after iPadOS16 is released sometime in October.)

You’ll need to set that ipad up as a new one and then wait until iPADOS is released and see if it’ll install.

Sep 29, 2022 4:52 AM in response to Alionski

Alionski wrote:

I think you misunderstood me.

Yes, I did misunderstand you but you never mentioned that the backups were iPhone backups. Users come here quite often that have been running beta versions of the relevant device iOS software and then get stuck with a backup that they can’t use.

I apologize for the misunderstanding, but that doesn’t change the situation. You still cannot use the backup until iPadOS 16 is released.

latest software version for ipad pro 4th generation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.