Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up new phone

I want to transfer everything from my old phone to my new phone except my photos. I do not want to use up the memory in my new phone with my old photos. I want the photos in my new phone to still continue to go to our cloud. How do I do this?

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 4:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 5:26 PM

You can’t. iCloud is a syncing service, not an archiving service. Anything in iCloud will also be on your phone, and anything deleted from your phone will also be deleted from iCloud. What you can do is enable optimized storage, which will save lower resolution, smaller photos on your phone, and full resolution in iCloud. Go to Settings/[your name]/iCloud/iCloud Photos and tap Optimize iPhone Storage.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2022 5:26 PM in response to madmax269109

You can’t. iCloud is a syncing service, not an archiving service. Anything in iCloud will also be on your phone, and anything deleted from your phone will also be deleted from iCloud. What you can do is enable optimized storage, which will save lower resolution, smaller photos on your phone, and full resolution in iCloud. Go to Settings/[your name]/iCloud/iCloud Photos and tap Optimize iPhone Storage.

Setting up new phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.