Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Your Mac was unable to communicate with your Apple Watch.

Recently bought an iPhone 8 Pro and Apple Watch Series 8 to compliment my M1 Macbook Pro. Try as I might, I am unable to select the checkbox under Security & Privacy labeled "Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac". My iPhone is unlocked as is my iPhone. The error reads:

"Your Mac was unable to communicate with your Apple Watch."

This previously worked on the Apple Watch Series 6 with the same Macbook Pro. I have tried every troubleshooting step I can find (and there are many) including:

• Deleting "Auto Unlock" and "AutoUnlock" entries under Keychain Manager
  • Resetting bluetooth/wifi on mac and iPhone
  • Resetting Handoff
  • Restoring AppleWatch from backup and new
  • Resetting iCloud Password
  • Signing in/out iCloud from Mac

At this point I am at a loss. During all this troubleshooting I somehow managed to get the checkbox to stick once although I haven't been able to do so since. Even then, the unlock feature didn't work -- it spun and eventually timed out which is the only reason I unselected it in the first place.

Is anyone else seeing this? I realize this feature hasn't exactly been rock solid from the start judging by the posts dating back years but the fact that I had it working once with my old watch tells me there is hope. I could only find one other "recent" post from this guy who reported the same error, "Watch missing LTK for Mac" with a Series 8:

"Watch missing LTK for Mac"

Console logs read:

Watch missing LTK for Mac

Error in session created response: 125

Pairing lock session notifying delegate with error: Error Domain=SFAutoUnlockErrorDomain Code=125 "Your Mac was unable to communicate with your Apple Watch." UserInfo={SFAutoUnlockManagerErrorBody=Make sure your Apple Watch is unlocked and on wrist, and your iPhone is unlocked., NSLocalizedDescription=Your Mac was unable to communicate with your Apple Watch., SFAutoUnlockManagerErrorTitle=Your Mac was unable to communicate with your Apple Watch.}

AppleSEPKeyStore:11114:605: operation failed (sel: 44 ret: e00002f0, 501, 100018)

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 8:05 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 29, 2022 3:34 PM in response to crblack82

Hi crblack82,

We understand that the unlocking your Mac with your Apple Watch feature isn't working as expected for you. You've done some fantastic troubleshooting already, so we'd recommend reaching out to Apple directly for additional assistance. You can reach them using: Apple Support They'd be the best hands possible to delve deeper with you on this.

Have a good day.

Your Mac was unable to communicate with your Apple Watch.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.