Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

self-assigned IP

my iMac crashed, had to re-install everything, now my ethernet connection shows a yellow sign and says 'ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will no be able to connect to the internet'. That's a bummer, as it worked before the crash and since my wifi signal in this room is weak...... I tried the 'easy fixes' (including DHCP Lease etc). What's going on? Thanks for your help.

iMac

Posted on Sep 27, 2022 11:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2022 2:59 PM

The self assigned address, which starts with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx shows up in : system prefs/networks when the system wasnt successful in getting an address from the router.

Anytime you see this 169 adddress it’s because the router hasn’t assigned one to you. There are a few reason why the router might not, but @ hcsitas has stated restarting your router should fix.

Good luck

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2022 2:59 PM in response to Roekie88

The self assigned address, which starts with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx shows up in : system prefs/networks when the system wasnt successful in getting an address from the router.

Anytime you see this 169 adddress it’s because the router hasn’t assigned one to you. There are a few reason why the router might not, but @ hcsitas has stated restarting your router should fix.

Good luck

self-assigned IP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.