Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect iPad with VPN to a MacBook Air

Hi

I am using MacBook Air and iPad as my second display.

When I connect my MacBook to iPad with Express VPN active it does not connect to iPad but when VPN is off then iPad connects without any issues.

Can anyone help me on how to connect iPad with VPN on on MacBook Air

Thanks

Sanjay B.

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 1:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 9:18 AM

As described, your VPN client does not support “split tunnelling”. As such, when your VPN is active, all of your network traffic is directed via the VPN connection to the VPN Gateway; local network traffic between devices (such as Sidecar via WiFi) is blocked by the VPN policy.

When your VPN connection is not enabled, network connectivity between devices on your local network is restored.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2022 9:18 AM in response to SanjayBatra

As described, your VPN client does not support “split tunnelling”. As such, when your VPN is active, all of your network traffic is directed via the VPN connection to the VPN Gateway; local network traffic between devices (such as Sidecar via WiFi) is blocked by the VPN policy.

When your VPN connection is not enabled, network connectivity between devices on your local network is restored.

How to connect iPad with VPN to a MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.