Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD replacement

Thank you to the contributors to a thread I was reading regarding a very noisy Fusion Drive. If I install an SSD and start using that instead of my Fusion drive, how can I stop using the FD? Will the SSD simply mean that the old drive won't boot?

Many thanks.

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 9:02 AM

Why not simply buy an external SSD and use that as your boot and primary drive? This is a much more simple and elegant solution than considering major surgery on your iMac, it is less expensive and no risk of bricking your machine due to damaging it! Not to mention your performance should improve!

5 replies

Sep 28, 2022 2:53 PM in response to bwardapple14

Hello!

Here's another +1 to the external SSD solution:

Use an external SSD as your startup disk … - Apple Community.

An external SSD has no risk of any permanent damage to your iMac, while being a user-supported external upgrade that won't void your AppleCare+ warranty or void any future paid repairs with Apple, if required. Additionally, an external SSD can be used with another Mac later after this current iMac has been replaced.

Jack

SSD replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.