Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

homepod mini starts playing apple radio music 1 when I unlock my mac mini

this is driving me crazy since I have no idea where this is configured or why it's happening.

I do not typically use Apple Radio or have an Apple Music subscription

Transfer to homepod is not enabled

Handoff is enabled but I do not directly use Apple Music on my iPhone or my Mac Mini.

The only time Apple Radio runs on my iPhone is for a similar reason with my Bluetooth in my car,. when my phone connects Apple Radio will start on its own. I usually use the Podcast app when in my car and it would have been the last app I was listening to in my car. I'll switch back to the Podcast app and maybe Apple Radio app is still open in the dock; however, the station it was on is an actual radio station that is streaming, not Apple Radio's Music 1 broadcast, so if it were handing off to the homepod mini I would expect it to be the same station, so that's why I'm concluding it's not a handoff occurring.

When it happens Apple music is not running on my mac mini or my iphone, so it's playing directly from the Homepod mini, so not an Airplay thing....

I cannot find any settings to control this. It's driving me nuts to not figure this out,....

anyone experience this or have suggestions for what to check?

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 7:06 AM

Thank you for taking the time to respond !

I just got the Homepod mini about two weeks ago so when I set it up it downloaded an update and currently sits at version 16.0.

I think I know what is happening though as it just happened two times in the past two days. I have it sitting in between my two monitors and when it happened the other day I was thinking maybe I was hitting the top of it when I was powering on the monitors. Well, I just sat down to work on my mac mini and was paying close attention to not touch the home-pod mini and low and behold it came on and started playing music right when my displays lit up and I was on the login screen. So I tapped the top to stop the music. I know I hadn't touched it, so I figured maybe its really sensistive or something, so I then I hovered my finger close to the top of the homepod mini and it started playing music without me actually touching it. So I guess it's picking up my hand when I'm turning on my displays without me actually touching it.

I'm going to move it out of 'range' so to speak and see if the issue presents again. I'm thinking it won't though.

Will come back and reports if it does. Thanks again!

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2022 7:06 AM in response to Chris_V89

Thank you for taking the time to respond !

I just got the Homepod mini about two weeks ago so when I set it up it downloaded an update and currently sits at version 16.0.

I think I know what is happening though as it just happened two times in the past two days. I have it sitting in between my two monitors and when it happened the other day I was thinking maybe I was hitting the top of it when I was powering on the monitors. Well, I just sat down to work on my mac mini and was paying close attention to not touch the home-pod mini and low and behold it came on and started playing music right when my displays lit up and I was on the login screen. So I tapped the top to stop the music. I know I hadn't touched it, so I figured maybe its really sensistive or something, so I then I hovered my finger close to the top of the homepod mini and it started playing music without me actually touching it. So I guess it's picking up my hand when I'm turning on my displays without me actually touching it.

I'm going to move it out of 'range' so to speak and see if the issue presents again. I'm thinking it won't though.

Will come back and reports if it does. Thanks again!

Sep 29, 2022 5:13 PM in response to daizm

Hey there daizm,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. To get started, have you checked to see if any updates are available for your HomePod? We ask as updating the software on your devices, can often help with resolving some unexpected issues like this. If not, check out the following resource that can help with checking for updates and updating your HomePod: Update HomePod - Apple Support

By default, HomePod and HomePod mini automatically install new software updates, but you can manually check for updates in the Home app on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac.

1. Make sure that your device is updated to the latest version of iOS, iPadOS, or macOS
2. Open the Home app. 
3. Tap or click the More button , then Home Settings  > Software Update.
4. If there's a new update, select Update. If there isn't a new update, you can select HomePod to turn on automatic updates and get the latest software automatically when it's available. Software Update also tells you if your HomePod is already up to date, and shows you the installed HomePod software.

A white spinning light appears on the top of HomePod while it's updating. The update might take some time. Make sure that your HomePod stays plugged in while it's updating. 

If still having issues after updating, or if your HomePod is already up-to-date, try disabling Wi-Fi on your Mac mini and test to see if the issue occurs again.

Keep us updated on the results.

Take care!

homepod mini starts playing apple radio music 1 when I unlock my mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.