Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you split text string into two columns

The Community posts I've read say to go to Numbers > Services > split text and use a space delimiter.

I have Numbers 12.1 and there is not split text option. Do you have an update on how to do this?

I have a list of Names and would like to split into 2 columns: First Name and Last Name

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 9:31 AM

If you have a column with the full names, and you are looking to have separate columns for the first and surnames, something like this should work – but it all falls apart if someone has a double-barrelled first or surname (ie. the full name contains more than one space).

First name formula:

TEXTBEFORE(A2," ",)

Surname formula:

TEXTAFTER(A2," ",)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2022 9:31 AM in response to suekatsue

If you have a column with the full names, and you are looking to have separate columns for the first and surnames, something like this should work – but it all falls apart if someone has a double-barrelled first or surname (ie. the full name contains more than one space).

First name formula:

TEXTBEFORE(A2," ",)

Surname formula:

TEXTAFTER(A2," ",)

How do you split text string into two columns

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.