Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

distorted mail png aspect ratio on macOS

I'm am using an Apple Mail via IMAP with a gmail account. I send emails with embedded png images to a user in another domain who has Outlook, and he replies back.

The reply email has the correct image aspect ratio when viewed via gmail or an iPhone running iOS 16.0.

My original embedded pngs, when presented in the reply email by Apple Mail (macOS Monterey, 12.6), have fixed image height but full-window-pane width, which results in a distorted aspect ratio. When I open the images in Preview, they are unmodified.

How do I stop Apple Mail on macOS from distorting these images?

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 4:23 PM

After doing several tests, I found that outlook (enterprise, I guess) injected a style into images — even in forwarded emails — which specified height and width in inches. Neither Apple Mail nor gmail properly resized the images when this was present.

I also noticed that the most recent Outlook version, project Monarch, does not do this. It does not mess with the styling and so images are resized correctly.

so, as Monarch is rolled out to enterprise users, this should be resolved.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2022 4:23 PM in response to JPRT

After doing several tests, I found that outlook (enterprise, I guess) injected a style into images — even in forwarded emails — which specified height and width in inches. Neither Apple Mail nor gmail properly resized the images when this was present.

I also noticed that the most recent Outlook version, project Monarch, does not do this. It does not mess with the styling and so images are resized correctly.

so, as Monarch is rolled out to enterprise users, this should be resolved.

distorted mail png aspect ratio on macOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.