Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring Mini DV tapes to iMovie on a Mac book pro

Finally I was able to get the FireWire leads and connectors to connect my Sony camera to my Mac book (2019) running the latest OS In I Movie. To my surprise it registers and I started to import I had done several tapes and as they are in real time I stoped and started the next day. The camera didn’t show up at the next attempt I kept trying. It appeared again , so I did one more tape. Then it would not recognize the camera and since then I have not been able to transfer any tapes ( I have about 120 tapes to do ) I also tried a DV tape deck and a different camera , no luck , of course the leads and connectors are checked and all as before. Why why why .

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2022 3:40 PM

Make sure the camera is showing up in the FireWire section as reported by the “System report” of About this Mac in the Apple menu.

if the Sony camera is not being shown in the System report, as hardware currently attached under FireWire, the system software will never see it.

now why it sees one time and not the next is either a problem on the Mac FireWire port, the cable between, or the port on the camera.

See if your system sees any ‘other FireWire ‘ devices, and try not to connect Cam from a FireWire hub or in series with other FireWire devices. Plug cam directly to port on Mac.

Hope this helps. I’ve used the Sony cam in the past

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2022 3:40 PM in response to Gribshott

Make sure the camera is showing up in the FireWire section as reported by the “System report” of About this Mac in the Apple menu.

if the Sony camera is not being shown in the System report, as hardware currently attached under FireWire, the system software will never see it.

now why it sees one time and not the next is either a problem on the Mac FireWire port, the cable between, or the port on the camera.

See if your system sees any ‘other FireWire ‘ devices, and try not to connect Cam from a FireWire hub or in series with other FireWire devices. Plug cam directly to port on Mac.

Hope this helps. I’ve used the Sony cam in the past

Sep 28, 2022 6:21 PM in response to Gribshott

Importing Mini DV tape into iMovie can be a bit hit or miss. It usually works but sometimes it doesn't.

Try rebooting and see if that triggers camera recognition. Sometime unplugging and replugging the connection does it. Also, starting the camera running before beginning the import has been known to work. Check that your connections and adapters (if any) are tight.

-- Rich

Oct 1, 2022 12:31 AM in response to Rich839

Hey Rich. I went into that section that lists the FireWire connections and. The Sony camera HDV -VCR was listed And then when I went into t iMovie I clicked on the arrow to import and that window listed the camera. So I was able to import. But if course ( maybe because of tooo many runs on that tape) . It was showing banding So I got the cleaning tape and gave it a run. It didn’t change the banding but actually made it worse. So then I put another tape in and it is playing and recording into iMovie

Thank you very much for all of your help and time spent on advising me on this. I have my fingers crossed that when I change tries again it still goes well .. thank you

Transferring Mini DV tapes to iMovie on a Mac book pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.