Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 14 Pro- minor scratch on back matte glass

The back of my iPhone 14 pro was scratched while being in my pocket. It is a very small dot but it seems like the paint has come off.

P.S: The phone was the only thing in the pocket without any keys or metal objects.

Is it this easy for the back to get scratched? Any others dealing with the same issue?

iPhone 14 Pro

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 10:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 11:45 PM

Threads like this happen every release and a huge debate ensues. Even though you didn’t have anything in your pocket something as simple as the material of your clothing can cause a fine scratch (denim although can be soft and is comfortable on our skin can be abrasive)…small debris can be in your pocket that could scratch….and so on. It could be anything. With that said…any painted surface can scratch so unfortunately you have to decide if carrying your phone naked is most important to you or would you rather protect your device with a slim case (clear if you want your device Color to show through) or even a skin (like the ones you can get from SkinIt…and choose from their stock or customize it). Or…if anything will stick to the back anymore I used to use those cheap protectors by Supershieldz (which I still use them for the front screen). They would sell packs that have both front and back protectors but I recall one iPhone model I had it wouldn’t adhere because of the way the glass was. You can check to see if they still over the packs like that (I have ordered from Amazon and from the brand site in the past. Of course…you don’t have to consider any of this. But it will save you a lot of frustration if you continue leaving your phone completely bare but get surprised by scratches.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 28, 2022 11:45 PM in response to aditifrombangalore

Threads like this happen every release and a huge debate ensues. Even though you didn’t have anything in your pocket something as simple as the material of your clothing can cause a fine scratch (denim although can be soft and is comfortable on our skin can be abrasive)…small debris can be in your pocket that could scratch….and so on. It could be anything. With that said…any painted surface can scratch so unfortunately you have to decide if carrying your phone naked is most important to you or would you rather protect your device with a slim case (clear if you want your device Color to show through) or even a skin (like the ones you can get from SkinIt…and choose from their stock or customize it). Or…if anything will stick to the back anymore I used to use those cheap protectors by Supershieldz (which I still use them for the front screen). They would sell packs that have both front and back protectors but I recall one iPhone model I had it wouldn’t adhere because of the way the glass was. You can check to see if they still over the packs like that (I have ordered from Amazon and from the brand site in the past. Of course…you don’t have to consider any of this. But it will save you a lot of frustration if you continue leaving your phone completely bare but get surprised by scratches.

iPhone 14 Pro- minor scratch on back matte glass

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.