Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 16 screen flickering issue

Since updating to iOS 16, I have been noticing subtle flickering on the screen under low brightness when I browse apps like Twitter, Reminders, etc. in dark mode. The issue seems to primarily occur while interacting with the apps, like background would flicker while playing a video but will stop when I pause it, or when I type to set a reminder.

It's very annoying and it kind of hurts my eyes when operating the phone at night or low-light conditions. Does anyone know a way out of this? Should I downgrade to iOS 15?

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 12:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 12:35 AM

You cannot downgrade to 15. Any iOS15 available on the wider web are jail-breaks and contain heaven knows what malware.

It has been reported before and is generally a subjective experience due to the refresh rate, but you could have Apple look at to ensure it is not hardware failure following the update.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

and/or

Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2022 12:35 AM in response to abheeshec

You cannot downgrade to 15. Any iOS15 available on the wider web are jail-breaks and contain heaven knows what malware.

It has been reported before and is generally a subjective experience due to the refresh rate, but you could have Apple look at to ensure it is not hardware failure following the update.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

and/or

Apple Support

Sep 29, 2022 12:52 AM in response to LD150

Okay, thanks for the clarification around the downgrade!

I am pretty sure it's not a subjective issue though, Reddit communities and many other websites are buzzing with this complaint. Here are some links: https://www.reddit.com/r/ios/comments/xcqbmu/ios_16_bug_flickering_on_grey_screens/, https://www.reddit.com/r/iPhone13/comments/xco2rk/screen_flickering_in_iphone_13_after_ios16_update/.

Some folks already went to Support, where they confirmed its not a hardware issue.

iOS 16 screen flickering issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.