Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off autosave numbers, pages, keynote

Since upgrading to Monterey, I now get the message every couple of minutes when working on number, pages, keynote docs. I'm the only person working on the file and only one application has it open. The files are saved on our fileserver (Synology NAS) not locally.

Clicking "Save Anyway" will save it but the prompt keeps coming up and interrupts my flow.

How can I disable the autosave feature? There seems to be no setting in the applications or in system prefs that deal with autosave?

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 6:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 6:04 AM

Your only option is in System Preferences > General > ☑︎ Ask to keep changes when closing documents. With this set, Pages autosave is disabled, and you will know that because the red traffic light in the title bar will continuously have a black dot in it until you manually save the document. If you quit without saving, then it will present the following dialog (from macOS 11.7 and Pages v12.1):

There is also a dedicated Pages for Mac Support Community available to you.

Are you using the available Synology AppleShare over TCP/IP or an SMB protocol solution?

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2022 6:04 AM in response to cucocreative

Your only option is in System Preferences > General > ☑︎ Ask to keep changes when closing documents. With this set, Pages autosave is disabled, and you will know that because the red traffic light in the title bar will continuously have a black dot in it until you manually save the document. If you quit without saving, then it will present the following dialog (from macOS 11.7 and Pages v12.1):

There is also a dedicated Pages for Mac Support Community available to you.

Are you using the available Synology AppleShare over TCP/IP or an SMB protocol solution?

Oct 1, 2022 5:39 AM in response to cucocreative

Hello cucocreative,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. We see you h ave some questions about autosaving on your Mac, and we'd like to help. From here, try booting your Mac in safe mode, to see if this happens there: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Also, when you create a test user, this can help with seeing if the issue is limited to just one location on your Mac. Try creating a test user account, and let us know if this is happening there: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Let us know, and we'll go from there.

Regards.

Oct 3, 2022 1:58 AM in response to VikingOSX

@VikingOSX I already have "Ask to keep changes when closing documents" checked in Sys Prefs. Should this be checked or not?

We moved over to SMB since our upgrade to Monterey as AFP seems to be causing issues when (and Apple is moving away from this protocol) opening/saving all files from the NAS – with it beachballing and and lenghty pauses when nothing would happen. Since the change that is now all fixed, it's now just this autosave issue.

Oct 3, 2022 3:25 AM in response to cucocreative

In short, I don't know how to resolve the original dialog you mentioned. I cannot reproduce it here with macOS 12.6, Apple's v12.1 office applications, but especially with my ancient Synology configuration. Regardless if I choose SMB3 or AFP.

I don't use any RAID on my old DS-110J Synology, and I am wondering outloud if you are using a RAID configuration, and if that is fooling the Apple applications into believing that the RAID duplication of their respective documents is what makes it believe the document is in use by another user.

My DiskStation Management Software version is capped at DSM 5.2-5967 Update 9 on that old DiskStation, so I cannot offer much of a testing comparison to newer releases of DSM, Synology hardware and their interaction with Monterey. On macOS 12.6, and a manual SMB share mounted, the only dialog I get from Pages v12.1 is when I attempt to manually save after allowing autosave to quietly update several additions to a document on the Synology. It tells me that it is on a volume that does not support permanent version storage, so in otherwards, the File menu > Revert To is inoperable with SMB. This with Ask to keep changes when closing documents deselected.

Oct 3, 2022 7:32 AM in response to VikingOSX

@VikingOSX We using Apple's v12.1 office applications on macOS 12.5.

Yes, we're using Synology Hybrid RAID on an old DS415+ (4 drive 2015 model) capped at DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 6. Connecting via SMB3 (max) SMB2 (min).

I have tried it with "Ask to keep changes when closing documents" checked and unchecked but still get the message.

@Jmanna13 We get the message in a new test account, again with the "Ask to keep changes when closing documents" checked and unchecked

Turn off autosave numbers, pages, keynote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.