Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to update an app

Trying to update an app

iTunes has my old user id stored in it somewhere

I change my username to current and attempt to log in

does not recognize my user name password "Verification Failed-Cannot find this person "

however, I was just able to load new apps and get on this page using it...

should I delete the app that needs an update and start over -reload the new rev?

Seems to only do this with this one app...

I even changed password, went through the Forgot Password? process, same result with new password

iPhone 13 mini, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 6:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 10:14 PM

An app is forever tied to the Apple ID that acquired it -

A Mac App Store app is forever tied to the Apple ID used to acquire it (paid or free). The Apple ID is encoded into the licensed copy that is downloaded. It is in the copy's DNA. That is the only Apple ID that can redownload or update the app. If you cannot reclaim the old Apple ID, you will need to reacquire the app with your new Apple ID. That means repurchasing paid apps.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 12.6; Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 9; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 15.6; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 16; HomePods, audioOS 16 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2022 10:14 PM in response to KDR1123

An app is forever tied to the Apple ID that acquired it -

A Mac App Store app is forever tied to the Apple ID used to acquire it (paid or free). The Apple ID is encoded into the licensed copy that is downloaded. It is in the copy's DNA. That is the only Apple ID that can redownload or update the app. If you cannot reclaim the old Apple ID, you will need to reacquire the app with your new Apple ID. That means repurchasing paid apps.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 12.6; Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 9; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 15.6; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 16; HomePods, audioOS 16 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Trying to update an app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.