Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictation and Siri stopped in iOS 16

Hello,

Is there a new known bug in iOS 16.0.2 (or just 16) with dictation and Siri, where the microphone does not work as expected?

Siri does not hear “Hey Siri” even though it is turned on, and if I use the side button to activate Siri, it responds with “something went wrong.”

Switching the iPhone language, and Siri language, and keyboard language all to “English UK” seems to fix the problem, but I’m trying to find out if this is a known issue that will be fixed in a future update.

Dictation and Siri was working yesterday, and I haven’t changed anything, although my phone might have auto-updated to 16.0.2.

The microphone works fine in Voice Memos and in translation apps, so I know it’s not a physical problem with the microphone.

Restarting the phone did not help.

Also, the “fix“ of switching to “English UK“ is working for me currently, but if I switch back to “English US“ the problem returns.

I contacted Apple Support, but they didn’t know about the problem, and so they sent me here, and to the feedback link (which I also submitted in).

Here are two other recent threads with the same problem:

Siri does not work on ios 16 | Apple Developer Forums

https://www.reddit.com/r/iOSBeta/comments/x9cn5x/ios_16_rc_dictation_has_stopped_working/

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 4:02 PM

I have the same problem. I used to use dictation when I type in multiple languages (English - UK, French - France and Cantonese - Hong Kong). And after I have updated to the latest version of IOS 16, dictation of all languages becomes not working at all.

Even my Siri is not working. Actually I can use the Hey Siri function in Cantonese - Hong Kong. But when I speak anything or tell Siri any request after I said 'Hey Siri' and Siri responded to me, Siri always processes so long and says 'An error has occurred, please try again'.

I think the Siri and Dictation function has bugs and cannot detect what I have said to both Siri and keyboard dictation, given the fact that my microphone is definitely operating normally!

Siri and Dictation is not working in iOS … - Apple Community

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2022 4:02 PM in response to LEGO Damashii

I have the same problem. I used to use dictation when I type in multiple languages (English - UK, French - France and Cantonese - Hong Kong). And after I have updated to the latest version of IOS 16, dictation of all languages becomes not working at all.

Even my Siri is not working. Actually I can use the Hey Siri function in Cantonese - Hong Kong. But when I speak anything or tell Siri any request after I said 'Hey Siri' and Siri responded to me, Siri always processes so long and says 'An error has occurred, please try again'.

I think the Siri and Dictation function has bugs and cannot detect what I have said to both Siri and keyboard dictation, given the fact that my microphone is definitely operating normally!

Siri and Dictation is not working in iOS … - Apple Community

Oct 12, 2022 11:49 AM in response to LEGO Damashii

Adding a couple more data points fwiw. I switched back to English US, and dictation and Siri randomly started working again for about a week, until today.

Now it’s broken again and neither Siri nor dictation work, even switching to English UK.

I tried upgrading to 6.0.3 but that did nothing to help.

It definitely seems like something is in the way of the microphone. The “Working… Still on it… Something went wrong” response is the same as if you activate Siri with the power button but don’t say anything.

Also, when I tap the dictation microphone icon, I get a haptic bump, but nothing I say appears on screen.

Oct 15, 2022 7:35 AM in response to LEGO Damashii

This also worked for me period I only need to set Siri in the keyboard to be English in the UK

I’m annoyed that my for several days i have been texting with Apple Support and they could not tell me about this temporary solution.

The official Apple response is:

Thank you for letting me know about this workaround, I'm really sorry about this, even if we endorse the use of the discussions, I can only share the official Apple documentation

Come on, Apple. Empower your people. Steve Jobs rolling in his grave.

Oct 15, 2022 11:25 AM in response to LEGO Damashii

I had the same issue… Spoke with Apple Support and worked with him for over an hour. We were able to fix my dictation issue by switching to the UK English keyboard but it wasn’t until I read below that I needed to switch language inside Siri and inside my operating system as well to UK English. Everything seems to work fine now as I am waiting for the system upgrade, 16.03 did not fix the issue

Oct 19, 2022 12:37 PM in response to LEGO Damashii

Siri and dictation are both randomly working for me again.

There are three language settings that are worth toggling back-and-forth. Mine are currently all set to “English US” again and it’s working.

The three settings are located at:

• Settings-General-Keyboard-Keyboards

• Settings-General-Language & Region-Preferred Languages

• Settings-Siri and Search-Language

Oct 21, 2022 6:30 AM in response to LEGO Damashii

I happened upon this same resolution. I updated to iOS 16.0.2 and then jumped on a plane to the UK. Frustrated that my voice to text wasn't working, I switched to the UK version as LEGO Damashii had. I was there for a week, it worked fine, in fact my phone is still set to UK (3 weeks later); however, voice to text has stopped working. If I fiddle with it enough, I can get functionality to temporarily return by going into 'Siri & Search' settings and toggling the first three options all off and then all back on. Obviously, not a solution. (Side note, if you verbally punctuate your 'voice to texts' and are using the UK dictation/keyboard, say "Full Stop" instead of period. )

Oct 24, 2022 1:53 PM in response to LEGO Damashii

I don’t see anything in the release notes for iOS 16.1 about a fix for this problem, so if anyone can report that it still exists, or has been fixed, please do so.

I did have Siri/dictation go down again three days ago, but fixed it with the keyboard toggle trick. What seemed to work was to switch to the UK keyboard, delete the US keyboard, then switch back to the US keyboard and delete the UK keyboard. But it’s hard to know for sure since this problem is intermittent and difficult to reproduce reliably.

Oct 26, 2022 8:08 PM in response to LEGO Damashii

I’ve been having the same issue and saw a response where a user went in and corrected their Siri settings for the preferred language to be “English (US).“ I noticed that mine had changed when the iOS 16 update took place where my default language was identified to be “English (South African).” This was most likely due to me having the voice of Siri be South African. I had to toggle the voice setting back to South African after the correction to English (US). It seems to be working now.

Oct 27, 2022 12:23 PM in response to LEGO Damashii

I have this same issue as it appears so do many others. I have an iPhone 12 Pro Max and ever since upgrading to v16.0.3 I've not been able to use Siri nor dictation for the en_US locale (US English). The workaround being spoken about does work by switching to UK English, but this is not sustainable as you have to switch the dictation locale EVERY time you want to dictate something.

This is a HUGE bug that Apple needs to address immediately. Pretty surprised this got missed by QA. Please fix this immediately and thank you!

Dictation and Siri stopped in iOS 16

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.