Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert Drive to APFS

How do I convert my Samsung SSD 960 EVO 1TB drive to APFS?

It currently has macOS Mojave version 10.14

This is a MBP mid-2015.

Tried to install Catalina and Big Sur but they did not convert the drive to APFS.

I still got the message “This volume is not formatted as APFS”

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 7:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 1:08 PM

In theory Disk Utility should have an option on one its menus to convert to APFS (probably need to select the volume or the Container to get the option), but I have seen some users report this does not always work. While it should not destroy data, I highly recommend to have a good backup before attempting the conversion.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2022 1:08 PM in response to 4thlife

In theory Disk Utility should have an option on one its menus to convert to APFS (probably need to select the volume or the Container to get the option), but I have seen some users report this does not always work. While it should not destroy data, I highly recommend to have a good backup before attempting the conversion.

Sep 29, 2022 8:51 AM in response to 4thlife

Mojave should already be APFS but that is not always the case especially if it has been cloned to the volume.

Backup.

Download Big Sur and make a bootable USB flash installer and boot it.

How to download macOS - Apple Support

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

In Disk Utility select View > Show All Devices and select the device (not volumes under it). Select Erase > GUID > APFS. Install Big Sur.

Restore.

Convert Drive to APFS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.