Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Passport Drives not working on brand new comp

I have recently bought a brand 2 new Macbook Pro 14in and its running Monterey. I also bought a brand new external drive (WD My Passport- which is suppoed to be compatable with macs) as well as have my old external drive (WD My Passport) that has been working on my old mackbook 15in and my even older iMac for years.

No matter what I do I can not get ANY exernal drive to mount on any of my new Macbooks running Monterey.

1) I have downloaded the WD discovery and utility which is the program that has helped my older macbook and imac mount the drives. Neither are working on the new ones.

2) I have looked in disk utility and I can see the drives but I cannot mount them. When i try it tells me

"Could not mount my passport . (com.apple.diskmanagement.disenter error 49153."

3) I have run diagnoistics on the older drive and everything came back fine. It also still works on older devices.

4) The other drive is brand new and nothing is working for that one to mount as well.

Not sure what to do as the internet isnt helping solve the problem. Wondering if this is an issue with Monterey since the older coms are not running that OS and are working fine...

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 10:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 2:19 PM

the fact that you are using WD's software that supposedly makes the drive "Mac ready" could be the cause of your issue. when you use software from just about any manufacturer for their storage device you run the risk of that same software not being compatible with macOS updates / upgrades. it can cause the software to stop working. at best this will cause you a headache. at worst it can render your data inaccessible. it is always best to use disk utility to erase and format a drive before use to remove any preloaded software. you should erase and format the WD drives before putting it into service.

please see these two apple support articles:

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2022 2:19 PM in response to alexandriacreative

the fact that you are using WD's software that supposedly makes the drive "Mac ready" could be the cause of your issue. when you use software from just about any manufacturer for their storage device you run the risk of that same software not being compatible with macOS updates / upgrades. it can cause the software to stop working. at best this will cause you a headache. at worst it can render your data inaccessible. it is always best to use disk utility to erase and format a drive before use to remove any preloaded software. you should erase and format the WD drives before putting it into service.

please see these two apple support articles:

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

File system formats available in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

My Passport Drives not working on brand new comp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.