Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air (2011) fan

The fan all of a sudden will not shut off. I've held down shift control option and off buttons for 10 seconds (which used to work) and it shuts off. After 10 seconds I tap the on button it quietly comes on

then the fan starts. It is on a flat surface. I don't know how to reset the SMC or PRAM which some have suggested. The is a new software to be installed. I still have unused storage but could reduce it. Some say clean the fans? I would need to take the back off and then it is pandora's box.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 12:28 PM

After a decade of use, an accumulation of dust on the Mac's cooling fins is likely to be a causal factor.

It is easily removed, but it ought to be performed by an authorized Apple repair facility. Start here: Apple Support. Resist the temptation to use compressed air from the outside of the Mac's case, which can only drive any possible dust and other contaminants further inside the case.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2022 12:28 PM in response to b4myhart

After a decade of use, an accumulation of dust on the Mac's cooling fins is likely to be a causal factor.

It is easily removed, but it ought to be performed by an authorized Apple repair facility. Start here: Apple Support. Resist the temptation to use compressed air from the outside of the Mac's case, which can only drive any possible dust and other contaminants further inside the case.

MacBook Air (2011) fan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.