Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I've noticed since the last upgrade that incoming Mail sometimes doesn't immediately populate the body of the message. Any ideas?

I've noticed since the last upgrade that incoming Mail sometimes doesn't immediately populate the body of the message. Any ideas?

iMac

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 2:21 PM

Without getting to technical, the reason could be your email server settings may have been changed from smtp;simple mail transfer protocol to iMAP. This is controlled by the email provider; Apple, gmail, etc….

One of the differences between the two mail protocols is, that smtp downloads the entire email when you click get mail.

Where the iMAP protocol will only download the mail header info. From, To, Subject title.

You must click the specific email before iMAP downloads the entire message.

This was done sometime ago to help control bandwidth when email was being sent across mail relays via telephone dialups via 9600 baud and up to 19.2k baud.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2022 2:21 PM in response to davebeck1942

Without getting to technical, the reason could be your email server settings may have been changed from smtp;simple mail transfer protocol to iMAP. This is controlled by the email provider; Apple, gmail, etc….

One of the differences between the two mail protocols is, that smtp downloads the entire email when you click get mail.

Where the iMAP protocol will only download the mail header info. From, To, Subject title.

You must click the specific email before iMAP downloads the entire message.

This was done sometime ago to help control bandwidth when email was being sent across mail relays via telephone dialups via 9600 baud and up to 19.2k baud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.