Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

iPhone ear speaker not working after update

The earpiece speaker on my IPhone 13 Pro stopped working after I recently updated my phone to the new IOS 16.0.02. There have been not settings changes, no physical damage and YES, I’ve already tried every single ‘fixing sound issues’ article on Apple Support along with YouTube. None of those things worked.

I noticed several other forums and commenters who faced the same problem.

Has anyone found a solution to this yet? Apple seems to be ignoring or avoiding the issue entirely

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 4:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 11, 2023 11:27 PM

After this most recent update my ear speaker has stopped getting sound thur it and I cannot hear phone calls unless I put it on speaker pls fix this I know my phone is not missed up because when I put on the hearing aid thing I hear sound coming out of it but it is really low pls fix the bug as soon as possible

96 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 11, 2023 11:27 PM in response to Tiffee143

After this most recent update my ear speaker has stopped getting sound thur it and I cannot hear phone calls unless I put it on speaker pls fix this I know my phone is not missed up because when I put on the hearing aid thing I hear sound coming out of it but it is really low pls fix the bug as soon as possible

Dec 6, 2022 10:06 AM in response to Tiffee143

I have a similar issue. I have an iPhone 12 Pro and since 16.1.1 I have been unable to listen to any kind of audio message on ear. Yes, I’ve tried to raise the volume during the voice message but the buttons don’t work at all but they are completely fine during voice calls. I have also tried to force restart the iphone but of course it did not work at all. Also, I’ve tried to update to iOS 16.1.2 but it did not fix the issue at all. I am wondering what to do next, because I’ve tried to contact Apple Support by phone but the operator unfortunately could not do much apart from suggesting to reset all settings. I am quite frustrated so I’d appreciate if anybody could share some opinions or suggestions!

Apr 27, 2023 6:13 PM in response to Tiffee143

Feeling frustrated and scammed after going through the troubleshooting steps and still not having the receiver work after an update.

It's unfortunate that the representative from Apple informed there was nothing they could do besides sending the phone in for repairs, on my own dime. it's important that Apple provides transparent and honest information to their customers about their options for resolving the issue.

It's also understandable that we all feel it's unfair to have to go through the hassle of sending in your phone, pay for the repair, especially since the issue was caused by an Apple update.

Dec 27, 2022 6:56 AM in response to Tiffee143

I had the same problem but I figured out a workaround that consists of a few steps:

• Play a voice message and get the phone close to your ear
  • Take it away again and now the message will be paused
  • Open the control center and keep sliding the volume slider up with your finger while you get the phone close to your ear again (which will resume the paused message, at least on telegram)
  • Now you should be able to hear it from the ear speaker

Dec 21, 2022 1:20 AM in response to Tiffee143

I can't adjust the volume of an earpiece speaker during calls, also while listening voice messages on WhatsApp etc. It is only about the earpiece speaker, not the main speaker and sounds. I contacted Apple support and tried factory reset and diagnostics, but it doesn't work. How can iPhone users have this issue, my phone is very new. Even with cheap android I never had such issues. But the most expensive phone has it. It is just super annoying.

iPhone ear speaker not working after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.