Newsroom Update

Tap to Pay on iPhone is now available in Canada. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes disappeared

Help!! The latest iOS update made all the notes from my iPhone disappear!!! I can’t seem to get them back and some were super important!

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 7:59 PM

Bullseye1980 Said:

"Notes disappeared: I took the risk and unclicked the notes and they showed up again!!! Thanks so much. Now I am working on storing them somewhere else!"

-------

Do so through use of iCloud:

I. On the iPhone:

1. Open: Settings app.
  2. Tap: your name (top Item)
  3. Choose iCloud
  4. Toggle On: Notes (so that it is green)

than...

II. On the Mac:

1. Open: System Preference on your Mac, which looks like your Settings app on the iPhone
  2. Sign Into: the Same Apple ID
  3. Select: iCloud
  4. Sign in: with your iCloud account.
  5. Select: the box next to the Notes (so that is it checks)

III. Report back if that does the trick

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2022 7:59 PM in response to Bullseye1980

Bullseye1980 Said:

"Notes disappeared: I took the risk and unclicked the notes and they showed up again!!! Thanks so much. Now I am working on storing them somewhere else!"

-------

Do so through use of iCloud:

I. On the iPhone:

1. Open: Settings app.
  2. Tap: your name (top Item)
  3. Choose iCloud
  4. Toggle On: Notes (so that it is green)

than...

II. On the Mac:

1. Open: System Preference on your Mac, which looks like your Settings app on the iPhone
  2. Sign Into: the Same Apple ID
  3. Select: iCloud
  4. Sign in: with your iCloud account.
  5. Select: the box next to the Notes (so that is it checks)

III. Report back if that does the trick

Sep 29, 2022 6:49 PM in response to Bullseye1980

Bullseye1980 Said:

"Notes disappeared: Help!! The latest iOS update made all the notes from my iPhone disappear!!! I can’t seem to get them back and some were super important!"

-------

Recovering Lost Notes:

If you have lost the notes, then here is what to try...

A. Start Here: If you're Missing Notes on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

B. Restore from a Backup:

Did your ever back up your iPhone with these installed? If so, back up you could back up your iPhone, and then restore it from the backup.

C. iCloud in Settings: Look in iCloud settings in each device, and make sure that Notes is clicked. If it is, then unclick it, and then click it again.

Sep 29, 2022 7:26 PM in response to Bullseye1980

Bullseye1980 Said:

"Notes disappeared: [...]if I go back to a back up from last week for example I know my notes would be there but would I lose everything since on my iPhone for all other apps (ex pics)?"

-------

-------

Loss of Data After Restoration:

Not everything would be lost. And if you enable items in iCloud then they would be upload to iCloud. However, notes are not backed up to iCloud. But, you can only restore your iPhone from a backup of one that is of the current iOS install. Nonetheless, you should always backup your device. Here is what iCloud backs up: What does iCloud Back Up? - Apple Support

Sep 29, 2022 7:08 PM in response to TheLittles

Ok I tried A and the only place I had stored notes was on my iPhone so not connected to an email account.

when I look at the app in my settings it also shows 0 notes and 0 storage.

when I first noticed it, I noted a new iOS was ready so I downloaded it - then opened my notes saw them and breathed a sigh of relief. Went in later that day to go save them somewhere just in case and they were gone again 😩

for C above when I went to try to un lick I got a warning saying turning it off deleted all iCloud of notes so was afraid if I did that I couldn’t recover :/

if I go back to a back up from last week for example I know my notes would be there but would I lose everything since on my iPhone for all other apps (ex pics)?

Notes disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.