Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

Hello Friends,

I bought a MacBook Air M1 2020 model few days back. I use an external display BenQ SW240 to edit pictures on lightroom. I want to connect my MacBook Air with the external display, so I bought a

Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter today.

I plugged in the adapter to the USB-C end to the MacBook Air and plugged the cable (Thunderbolt 2 to DisplayPort male provided by BenQ) to the female end of Thunderbolt 2 port of the adapter. Then connected the Display Port to the external display. I don't get to see anything on the external display.

MacBook Air USB-C port --> Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter --> Thunderbolt 2 Cable (Male) --> Display port --> External Display.

After doing all of this, I am still not able to see anything on the external display.

It says 'No Signal'.

Please help. Thank you in advance.

Thanks,

Himanshu.

Posted on Sep 30, 2022 5:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2022 6:25 AM

You need a USC-C to DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort adapter, the Thunderbolt adaptor will not work.

From the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter page:

Note: This adapter does not support DisplayPort displays like the Apple LED Cinema Display or third-party DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort displays. For more information, visit the Apple Support page for the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2022 6:25 AM in response to Himanshu.Bhusan

You need a USC-C to DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort adapter, the Thunderbolt adaptor will not work.

From the Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter page:

Note: This adapter does not support DisplayPort displays like the Apple LED Cinema Display or third-party DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort displays. For more information, visit the Apple Support page for the Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter.

Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.