Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scam

Hoping someone can advise on a message in the browser.

Is it real or a scam?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 30, 2022 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2022 8:22 PM

That looks like a legitimate warning from the MacOS about weak password(s) you are using.

See https://www.macworld.com/article/553490/safari-compromised-password-warning.html which I summarize below.

To be sure it is legitimate, go to

Safari > Preferences > Passwords

Enter your Mac login password.

Locate and select the appropriate entry under Security Recommendations. Examine the details.

If no warning exists within the Safari preferences, you may have encountered a phishing attempt. If, however, the same alert does appear, you should probably change the password for that account immediately.

If the warning is present in Safari Preferences, a Change Password on Website button should also be present. Clicking it will take you to the relevant page where you should be able to reset the password for the affected account.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2022 8:22 PM in response to Notlob_D

That looks like a legitimate warning from the MacOS about weak password(s) you are using.

See https://www.macworld.com/article/553490/safari-compromised-password-warning.html which I summarize below.

To be sure it is legitimate, go to

Safari > Preferences > Passwords

Enter your Mac login password.

Locate and select the appropriate entry under Security Recommendations. Examine the details.

If no warning exists within the Safari preferences, you may have encountered a phishing attempt. If, however, the same alert does appear, you should probably change the password for that account immediately.

If the warning is present in Safari Preferences, a Change Password on Website button should also be present. Clicking it will take you to the relevant page where you should be able to reset the password for the affected account.

Sep 30, 2022 9:01 PM in response to steve626

Steve,

Thanks for the reply & for the detail. I found a warning a icon beside the web site entry with comment that it had been used previously. I guess that was the issue picked up by the MacOS (not the 'data leak' as I feared). Have changed the password on the site via the Change Password on Website button.

Regard, Dave.

Scam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.