Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I update my iPhone

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Sep 30, 2022 9:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2022 9:31 PM

khal68 Said:

"How can I update my iPhone"

-------

Updating iPhone 6 Plus Past iOS12:

This is not an Option:

You iPhone model (6 Plus) is incompatible with iOS13 and/or iOS14  and/or iOS15, and/or iOS16. This is because your iPhone model (6 Plus)does not meet the hardware requirements for this iOS version(s). So, you may need to get a SIM card made for iOS12 and/or before.

For future reference...

Troubleshooting iPhone Storage:

Internal storage cannot be upgraded. It is what it is. So, the maximum internal storage capacity never increases, even if you upgraded your iCloud plan. Learn More here: What's the Difference Between Device Storage and iCloud Storage? Apple Support. So, you'll just have to clear space, and then perform the upgrade.

So, what to do:

Clear Space:

Try clearing internal storage though use of the following:

What Space to Clear:

A. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files(Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

And...

B. Clean TV and Music Libraries:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them.

And...

C. "Other" being the Culprit:

Use this Link: How to Check the Storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support. The storage named "Other" is the grey bar. So, to clear that, this is what to perform: Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2022 9:31 PM in response to khal68

khal68 Said:

"How can I update my iPhone"

-------

Updating iPhone 6 Plus Past iOS12:

This is not an Option:

You iPhone model (6 Plus) is incompatible with iOS13 and/or iOS14  and/or iOS15, and/or iOS16. This is because your iPhone model (6 Plus)does not meet the hardware requirements for this iOS version(s). So, you may need to get a SIM card made for iOS12 and/or before.

For future reference...

Troubleshooting iPhone Storage:

Internal storage cannot be upgraded. It is what it is. So, the maximum internal storage capacity never increases, even if you upgraded your iCloud plan. Learn More here: What's the Difference Between Device Storage and iCloud Storage? Apple Support. So, you'll just have to clear space, and then perform the upgrade.

So, what to do:

Clear Space:

Try clearing internal storage though use of the following:

What Space to Clear:

A. Clear Temporary Internet Files:

Clear your Temporary Internet Files(Cookies & Cache) of Safari:

And...

B. Clean TV and Music Libraries:

Remove all unneeded files from your TV and Music Libraries. Full-Movies take up 2-4GB typically, and a bunch of those would take up a load of storage, ideally. So, if you have any movies that are not needed, then delete them.

And...

C. "Other" being the Culprit:

Use this Link: How to Check the Storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support. The storage named "Other" is the grey bar. So, to clear that, this is what to perform: Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.