Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Annoying Sync on Apple devises

I HATE the sync on my Apple computers/iphone, specially when one gets issues, like the Mail app, and whilst trying to fix it on one device, all the others get the samme failures and so I cannot use all my email accounts, the passwords are f-u-# and i do not know what to do to save that I had on the one that was working good, because it does not respond to the earlier settings I had on it.

Is it really necessary to have Sync active? I mean, I don't care to do myself the jobs of Updating and moving items manually, on each device, as long as Sync does not smash what was OK but bad on only one device.

See my problem? Anyone outthere with a comment? I'll really appreciate a usable word. Thanks in advance.

Ignacio

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 5:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 11:48 AM

Go to your AccountSettings and/or System Preferences > iCloud and UNcheck the items you do not want to sync. Apple's default is that you want to sync. I do not sync anything. Beware though every time you do an update, you need to do it again and, when prompted, do not sign into iCloud during the setup - that is the step that makes it sync automatically.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2022 11:48 AM in response to adtelier

Go to your AccountSettings and/or System Preferences > iCloud and UNcheck the items you do not want to sync. Apple's default is that you want to sync. I do not sync anything. Beware though every time you do an update, you need to do it again and, when prompted, do not sign into iCloud during the setup - that is the step that makes it sync automatically.

Oct 2, 2022 1:11 AM in response to babowa

Hello Babowa, thanks for your fast replay. However, being just an user, not a techi, do not allways understand tips and instructions, therefore this: Do I have to have all the devices ON in order to do the UNChecking of devices? I started with only my primary iMAC/BigSur 11.7 active - I am attaching screenshots of the places I believe you refer to, but Mail is unchecked on all, what is wrong on all that they show? I understand about the need of re-Unchecking the sync everytime an update is done. But the thing is I do not see 'devices' anywere. Unless all devices need to be ON.

Hope this helps you to see my ignorance on this cases. Thanks in advance.

Oct 2, 2022 11:56 PM in response to babowa

Hello babowa

Many thanks for your answer to my last message. It seems to me that you are 'answering indirectly' to my question about me having the iCloud ON on the <System Preferences/Internet Accounts> panel.

The other place iCloud appears too, is on the Apple Mail program - which indeed downloads individually to each of it's own computer, (I prefer it that way) but here it shows iCloud is "Inactive".

Does it says something to you? It is confussing to me. Is it there a conflict of sorts or shall I just incativate the <iCloud> on the System Preferences?

Please confirm. Thanks.

Ignacio

Oct 2, 2022 9:23 PM in response to adtelier

As I said, I don't use iCloud, so I hope someone will chime in, but I wonder why you have iCloud drive on? You are also storing photos there? As far as I know, as long as it is on and you are storing files there, it will sync - at least the photos and maps. And I am not familiar with that IM transfer agent. If you do not get an answer here, contact Apple support.

Not sure about your Mail app since all of those are POP accounts which means that emails are downloaded to your computer on which the account was created on. they will not be downloaded to other devices. POP accounts are unusual nowadays, most are automatically IMAP.

Annoying Sync on Apple devises

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.