Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enter password for other MacBook Pro when signing in with Apple ID

Hello,

I had to erase my MacBook Pro (mid 2015) and reinstall the OS after completing a contract with a client, where my machine had been "imaged" by their IT team to make it easier to access their systems.

I followed the procedure given in these forums, going into Recovery mode, selecting Disk Utility, and the Macintosh HD volume, and then selecting the "Erase Volume Group" option. This appeared to erase both the HD and the HD - Data volumes. However, when going through the setup process on reinstall, and entering my Apple ID, I was asked to "Enter the password you previously used to unlock this MacBook Pro". I assumed this was the same password as before, but I got a popup asking to "Enter the passcode you use to unlock <OTHER_MACHINE>, which is not the password for this MacBook Pro". Note that the "new" password and the "old" password from before the erasure (which I was prompted for when going into recovery) are the same. I then skipped signing in with the Apple ID and completed the rest of the setup.

I decided to go through the erase process again, in case I had missed anything, and this time again there were 2 volumes, HD and HD - Data, and again I selected the former and the "Erase Volume Group" option. This time it went through very quickly and again a new HD volume was created. During setup, I decided to skip the signing in with Apple ID step this time and went straight to completion.

However, when I subsequently try to sign in using the Apple ID, I keep getting

and when I enter the admin password I get

I have read this post -> Enter a password to unlock the disk maci… - Apple Community

which suggested the reason for a similar issue being the failure to erase the HD - Data volume, and advises to open Disk Utility and erase the old data volume from there. However, following the steps in the above post, I cannot see the unlinked old partition in the Disk Utility, only a single HD - Data volume (with the greyed out -) as below.

Can anyone suggest how to resolve this issue? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

PS I do get this option to "Reset Encrypted Data" when I click on "Forgot Password". Will this resolve the issue?

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 8:38 AM

Hi ajmal.bangash,

The reason why you're being asked for that other password is because of iCloud Keychain. That other password is currently protecting all of the passwords stored in your iCloud account, and it could be due to you or someone else signing in to your Apple ID on that other Apple device.

If you don't recall doing this, change or reset your Apple ID password immediately: https://iforgot.apple.com

Then, choose "Reset Encrypted Data" when that prompt comes up again. You will lose all passwords stored in iCloud Keychain, but you will successfully sign in to your Apple ID.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2022 8:38 AM in response to ajmal.bangash

Hi ajmal.bangash,

The reason why you're being asked for that other password is because of iCloud Keychain. That other password is currently protecting all of the passwords stored in your iCloud account, and it could be due to you or someone else signing in to your Apple ID on that other Apple device.

If you don't recall doing this, change or reset your Apple ID password immediately: https://iforgot.apple.com

Then, choose "Reset Encrypted Data" when that prompt comes up again. You will lose all passwords stored in iCloud Keychain, but you will successfully sign in to your Apple ID.

Enter password for other MacBook Pro when signing in with Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.