Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HD file size reporting discrepancy

[I saw similar questions here, but >5 years old, so posting new.]

My 500G Mac Mini HD free space shows different on:

Disk Utility - 25G free

About this Mac / Storage - 325G free

About this Mac /  System Report / Hardware / Storage - 25G free

Finder / Show Status Bar - 325G free

325G free should be correct.

I first noticed this when SuperDuper told me my HD had 475G used, which I knew couldn’t be right and would result in not enough space for the backup.  I discovered I had accidentally recorded a “movie” using Launchpad/Screenshot and it recorded a huge file, about 250G.  Before I found and deleted, Time Machine had backed up, ran out of space, and I understand likely stored that file and others on my HD.  I deleted that file and 325G free is typical.  After doing that, I got the above values.

I have restarted several times; no change.  Searching online talks about  Purgeable Storage Space.

How can I get Disk Utility and Finder to update to the correct values for my HD?  SuperDuper still thinks the space needed [475G] exceeds its allotment on my BU drive, which is 300G.

2020 Mac Mini M1, OS 12.6 [ I ran the update in the middle of this!]

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 3:00 PM

David Tomer wrote:

Really? This is probably one of the most commonly reported problems.

Disk Utility - 25G free

25G free is correct.

Also, if you carefully review all of the above values, you'll notice that they actually don't say that at all. They use the word "available", not "free". People think those two words are the same, but they are different.

I first noticed this when SuperDuper told me my HD had 475G used, which I knew couldn’t be right and would result in not enough space for the backup.  I discovered I had accidentally recorded a “movie” using Launchpad/Screenshot and it recorded a huge file, about 250G.  Before I found and deleted, Time Machine had backed up, ran out of space, and I understand likely stored that file and others on my HD.  I deleted that file and 325G free is typical.  After doing that, I got the above values.

The cause is probably a local snapshot. Deleted files will be saved in a local snapshot for about a day or so. Only after the snapshot is purged will the 250G file be truly deleted and that storage moved into "free" status.

However, since you are using a 3rd party backup tool, your system could be behaving differently.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2022 3:00 PM in response to David Tomer

David Tomer wrote:

Really? This is probably one of the most commonly reported problems.

Disk Utility - 25G free

25G free is correct.

Also, if you carefully review all of the above values, you'll notice that they actually don't say that at all. They use the word "available", not "free". People think those two words are the same, but they are different.

The cause is probably a local snapshot. Deleted files will be saved in a local snapshot for about a day or so. Only after the snapshot is purged will the 250G file be truly deleted and that storage moved into "free" status.

However, since you are using a 3rd party backup tool, your system could be behaving differently.

Oct 1, 2022 1:59 PM in response to David Tomer

Do not use SuperDuper but use the Other Cloning Software

Whether the below applies to SuperDuper - you will need to explore this with the Developer of Shirt Pocket Super Duper

Notation - If the user is using a cloning software like Carbon Copy Cloner - suggest tweaking the Safety Net Feature in this software. It may be making additional Snap Shots that are not being Cloned to the Eternal Drive. If this should be the case, these Snap Shot could be using additional space on the drive

Automated maintenance of the CCC SafetyNet folder

Oct 2, 2022 5:30 PM in response to etresoft

Thanks, etresoft!!

I learned a lot from your response, and after waiting a day, my About My Mac / Storage shows 320G out of 500G [really 494] "available". And Disk Utility shows 310G "Free". So it appears that exactly what you said was happening did happen, and did take care of itself. And Super Duper likewise doesn't show an alert that the amount to be copied was too large, so appears to recognize the new values, also. So thanks again.

HD file size reporting discrepancy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.