Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Face recognition

Can’t get face recognition on i12…updates up to date

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 3:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 3:32 PM

Follow these steps, testing after each step:

If that didn’t work, then it could be a hardware issue.

According to Apple:

Using diagnostics available in iOS 14.6 or later, Apple has detected an issue with your TrueDepth camera that might cause it to not function as expected. The TrueDepth camera contains lasers, which might be disabled for safety reasons if the device malfunctions or is damaged. This won't prevent you from using your iPhone or iPad, but until your iPhone or iPad is updated or serviced, you might not be able to use Face ID, Animoji, Memoji, and some other features that use the front camera.

As a result, I recommend service.

Service Checklist:

Click ▶︎ Start a Service Request. ⚛️

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ Check Repair Status. 🔧

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2022 3:32 PM in response to ebby81

Follow these steps, testing after each step:

If that didn’t work, then it could be a hardware issue.

According to Apple:

Using diagnostics available in iOS 14.6 or later, Apple has detected an issue with your TrueDepth camera that might cause it to not function as expected. The TrueDepth camera contains lasers, which might be disabled for safety reasons if the device malfunctions or is damaged. This won't prevent you from using your iPhone or iPad, but until your iPhone or iPad is updated or serviced, you might not be able to use Face ID, Animoji, Memoji, and some other features that use the front camera.

As a result, I recommend service.

Service Checklist:

Click ▶︎ Start a Service Request. ⚛️

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ Check Repair Status. 🔧

Face recognition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.