Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corrupted Volume

Corruption in Disk 1 cannot be recovered, what other options do I have to remove the free disk space of 200GB, and eventually get my SSD back to 1TB capacity

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 5:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2022 1:56 PM

From the link in the upper left of this thread, it appears you were looking at an article regarding BootCamp. You must use BootCamp Assistant to remove a Windows' installation and to merge the space back into the macOS Container. You can attempt to use Disk Utility to delete and re-merge the partition back into the macOS Container, but I doubt it will work. If neither process works, then you will most likely need to erase the whole physical drive before reinstalling macOS and restoring from a backup.

FYI, within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. You want to select the physical drive (usually identified by the drive's make & model) and erase it as GUID partition and APFS (top option) assuming you are reinstalling macOS 10.14+, otherwise use MacOS Extended (Journaled). Erasing the drive will destroy all data on the drive.

I hope you have a good backup.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2022 1:56 PM in response to CorruptedVolumes

From the link in the upper left of this thread, it appears you were looking at an article regarding BootCamp. You must use BootCamp Assistant to remove a Windows' installation and to merge the space back into the macOS Container. You can attempt to use Disk Utility to delete and re-merge the partition back into the macOS Container, but I doubt it will work. If neither process works, then you will most likely need to erase the whole physical drive before reinstalling macOS and restoring from a backup.

FYI, within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. You want to select the physical drive (usually identified by the drive's make & model) and erase it as GUID partition and APFS (top option) assuming you are reinstalling macOS 10.14+, otherwise use MacOS Extended (Journaled). Erasing the drive will destroy all data on the drive.

I hope you have a good backup.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media (including the cloud) which contains important & unique data.

Corrupted Volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.