Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I search the iTunes Store on a Mac?

I have a new Mac Book Air (M2) and am running Monterey 12.6 and Music 1.2.5.7. I do not have an Apple Music subscription by choice (bad experience) and I don't have it enabled in the Music app. I followed the steps an expert provided in another thread that asked this same question. The problem is, I cannot find a way to search at all. If I select my search button, it does not show the search boxes for the location in the upper right corner. It only will search my library. I do have iTunes selected in Music > Preferences > General. Although the iTunes Store link appears on the left of my main screen in Music, when I click the search box it says "Searching your library". I cannot find a way to change that. If I click on the left menu for iTunes Store, there's no search box there either.

I am new to Mac and I apologize if I'm missing something obvious. I do not have this problem in my Music app on my Windows PC. If I want to search the iTunes Store, I have to use my phone or my Windows PC. The only app I see for music on my Mac is the Music app. I do not see iTunes Store as an app available for download, at least for my OS.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 4:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 5:17 PM

Wombat,

On the Mac, the iTunes Store is not a separate app. You access it thru the Music app.

Do you have it enabled in Music Preferences > General > "Show -- iTunes Store"?

If there is still an issue, follow the details in here: Buy music from the iTunes Store - Apple Support

3 replies

Oct 1, 2022 5:14 PM in response to wombat88

I just found another thread that described a similar issue. In that one, the solution was to force quit the music app on my Mac. When I did so, the search options on the right magically reappeared. The other poster said the options disappeared after a while, but closing the app completely restored the search options on the right. For now, my search appears to be fixed for me, so I hope it stays that way. I don't know if it is a bug or a quirk that appeared after I updated to Monterey 12.6.

In an unrelated question, why do my posts show Windows and Windows 6 at the bottom? I do not see a way to update that in my profile.

Oct 2, 2022 4:42 PM in response to ed2345

I did follow those steps and do have the iTunes Store option checked.

For right now, I am showing the boxes on the right side of the screen for searching in the iTunes Store. They were not there previously. What I did was force quit my music app and that restored the menu options for the search field. Someone else in a different thread has the same issue and used the force quit to get his menu options back. His kept disappearing but so far they have stayed for me. I am thinking that an update may have caused the glitch, but it was described as a bug in the other thread.

For now, I plan to try force quitting should the problem recur. If I need to do that repeatedly, then I will file a bug report with Apple.

How do I search the iTunes Store on a Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.