Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro won’t boot but fans spin.

So I just woke up and turned on my mac and after I loaded Into my desktop the screen froze and started flickering with different colors I wasn’t doing a certain task or anything not even opened apps yet. Then I forcefully shut It down and when I tried to turn It back on It just wouldn’t turn on. But It was getting warm then the fans started spinning but slowly. As It got warmer the fans got a little bit louder but nothing on the screen It’s blank no keyboard backlight, no touchbar, no caps light , no startup chime nothing. after a couple hours It turned on and I was greeted with an error I think It was something around: “CPU Architecture No MCA Data Found Caterr detected.” or something like that. But then again It froze no screen flickering this time and again I wasn’t doing any particular task no open apps but this time It rebooted Itself. And now again It doesn’t turn on also no response to SMC reset nor NVRAM or PRAM reset. MacBook Pro 15” 2016 TouchBar model running on Monterey I believe 12.4 or 12.5 I don’t remember the exact. version.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Oct 2, 2022 5:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2022 6:38 AM

flyskyb787 wrote:

So I just woke up and turned on my mac and after I loaded Into my desktop the screen froze and started flickering with different colors I wasn’t doing a certain task or anything not even opened apps yet. Then I forcefully shut It down and when I tried to turn It back on It just wouldn’t turn on. But It was getting warm then the fans started spinning but slowly. As It got warmer the fans got a little bit louder but nothing on the screen It’s blank no keyboard backlight, no touchbar, no caps light , no startup chime nothing. after a couple hours It turned on and I was greeted with an error I think It was something around: “CPU Architecture No MCA Data Found Caterr detected.” or something like that. But then again It froze no screen flickering this time and again I wasn’t doing any particular task no open apps but this time It rebooted Itself. And now again It doesn’t turn on also no response to SMC reset nor NVRAM or PRAM reset. MacBook Pro 15” 2016 TouchBar model running on Monterey I believe 12.4 or 12.5 I don’t remember the exact. version.

If your Mac doesn't start up all the way

If your Mac doesn't start up all the way - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2022 6:38 AM in response to flyskyb787

flyskyb787 wrote:

If your Mac doesn't start up all the way

If your Mac doesn't start up all the way - Apple Support

Oct 2, 2022 1:41 PM in response to flyskyb787

Most likely you have a hardware failure of the Logic Board since "Caterr" means a CPU Catastrophic Error.

You can try an SMC Reset (read the instructions carefully since the instructions are different for the USB-C Intel Macs).

Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

You can have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to provide you with a repair estimate. FYI, the 2016 model is considered "Vintage" by Apple, so repairs are now only possible if the necessary parts are still available.

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

MacBook Pro won’t boot but fans spin.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.