Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt to USB Performance

I have a Mac Mini, 2020, with M1 and Monterey.

Question: I have a media drive (HDD) connected to the Mac Mini USB. If is use an Apple adapter to run the drive through the Thunderbolt port will it impove performance?

Thank you.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 2, 2022 6:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2022 8:08 AM

The "issue" of using SSDs for media, especially music & video, is that SSDs cost more than HDDs of the same capacity; and there is no improvement in playback performance vs. an HDD. You can only listen to music or watch a video at a certain speed, and that speed is far less than the read/write speed of either SSDs or most modern HDDs.

And while native SSD read/write speeds per se are faster than HDDs, the drive interface is the significant limiting factor (SATA, USB, FW, Thunderbolt, take your pick ... for example, an SSD in a USB2 enclosure is a total waste of money, as you would only ever get USB2 speeds out of it).

As for video editing with SSD, IMHO the issue is more about APFS "copy-on-write" scheme than anything else. At this point I would not use APFS on any drive (SSD or HDD) for video editing/production.

Also, a significant benefit of HDDs that in the case of drive failure there is usually the possibility of data recovery. Not so with SSDs - when they fail, everything is gone.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2022 8:08 AM in response to MichaelJonas

The "issue" of using SSDs for media, especially music & video, is that SSDs cost more than HDDs of the same capacity; and there is no improvement in playback performance vs. an HDD. You can only listen to music or watch a video at a certain speed, and that speed is far less than the read/write speed of either SSDs or most modern HDDs.

And while native SSD read/write speeds per se are faster than HDDs, the drive interface is the significant limiting factor (SATA, USB, FW, Thunderbolt, take your pick ... for example, an SSD in a USB2 enclosure is a total waste of money, as you would only ever get USB2 speeds out of it).

As for video editing with SSD, IMHO the issue is more about APFS "copy-on-write" scheme than anything else. At this point I would not use APFS on any drive (SSD or HDD) for video editing/production.

Also, a significant benefit of HDDs that in the case of drive failure there is usually the possibility of data recovery. Not so with SSDs - when they fail, everything is gone.

Thunderbolt to USB Performance

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.