Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I get junk mail when it is addressed to someone else?

I'm getting several pieces of email every day that have my partial address, but not my complete address. For instance "myname2687080@aol.com" The "my name" is correct, but there are no numbers or symbols after my name and I don't use AOL, so why would that come to me?! I've been blocking sender's addresses, but I've literally blocked hundreds of them and they still come through, even though they're not addressed to my correct email address. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Oct 2, 2022 11:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 2, 2022 11:17 AM

That's just spam. The "modern" e-mail system was designed almost 50 years ago now. Those "from" and "to" e-mail addresses you see in the message aren't really used for routing.

How are you "blocking" them? Certain e-mail providers may have better or worse spam blocking capabilities. But if there was one that worked great for everyone, then there wouldn't be 27 other ones that were just as bad.

All you can really do is just delete them.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 2, 2022 11:17 AM in response to janvestal

That's just spam. The "modern" e-mail system was designed almost 50 years ago now. Those "from" and "to" e-mail addresses you see in the message aren't really used for routing.

How are you "blocking" them? Certain e-mail providers may have better or worse spam blocking capabilities. But if there was one that worked great for everyone, then there wouldn't be 27 other ones that were just as bad.

All you can really do is just delete them.

Why do I get junk mail when it is addressed to someone else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.