Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot add updated vaccine card to wallet

iPhone 12 mini iOS16

I've gotten a COVID booster and want to update my Apple Wallet version of the vaccination card. I can login to the Dept Public Health web site using Safari on the phone, see my card with the QR code, tap the "add to Health and wallet" button--but nothing happens except I get taken to an apple page describing the Health app with nothing whatsoever happening to wallet app, which is the only place I want the card. I was able to delete the old card but not add the new one, so it's not that the wallet has no place to put it. What incredibly obvious thing am I missing now?

I can't even find a topic for this request because it's about 'wallet app' but not about Apple Pay and credit cards.

Posted on Oct 2, 2022 7:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 6:32 PM

Turns out that you have to have the notifications turned on for the Apple health app. Temporarily, at least in order to have the app correctly add your vaccine card. You can turn them off again when you’re done, but you have to turn them on or no dice.

And once it’s added to Health, it pops up in Wallet as well. The version of Wallet, by the way, does not display all of your vaccinations if you have had more than four, and it drops off the oldest vaccination. So, if you are one of us who have had five or more vaccinations, and you’re surprised to see only for, it’s not just you, it’s the way the Wallet display works.

Health allows you to see all of the versions of the vaccine accurately.

Nonsensical that Notifications should matter, but there it is.

And it was extremely irritating than a n earlier advisor told me that the problem had to be that I was accessing the QR code in the wrong way, and the QR code had to be scanned with a camera as opposed to tapping it from Safari and using the Health button that popped up to add it to health app. He said I was doing it wrong, or there was a problem with the QR code, because otherwise it would work. clearly he didn’t know about the bug that requires notifications to be turned on for it to be added. Bug report to Apple pending.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2022 6:32 PM in response to Donot Haveone

Turns out that you have to have the notifications turned on for the Apple health app. Temporarily, at least in order to have the app correctly add your vaccine card. You can turn them off again when you’re done, but you have to turn them on or no dice.

And once it’s added to Health, it pops up in Wallet as well. The version of Wallet, by the way, does not display all of your vaccinations if you have had more than four, and it drops off the oldest vaccination. So, if you are one of us who have had five or more vaccinations, and you’re surprised to see only for, it’s not just you, it’s the way the Wallet display works.

Health allows you to see all of the versions of the vaccine accurately.

Nonsensical that Notifications should matter, but there it is.

And it was extremely irritating than a n earlier advisor told me that the problem had to be that I was accessing the QR code in the wrong way, and the QR code had to be scanned with a camera as opposed to tapping it from Safari and using the Health button that popped up to add it to health app. He said I was doing it wrong, or there was a problem with the QR code, because otherwise it would work. clearly he didn’t know about the bug that requires notifications to be turned on for it to be added. Bug report to Apple pending.

Oct 3, 2022 7:03 AM in response to Donot Haveone

I have also checked the Health app, since the button says, add to Health and Wallet, and there’s absolutely nothing there that looks like an immunization record. There is nothing like a menu, and the closest thing I can see that might be useful is something that says health records, but that leads me to “get started by connecting to your health provider,” rather than, “here is your vaccination card.” so there is nothing there that I can see that supports another option I see mentioned often in answers to previous questions about this, IIRC, go to the Health app, and then click on the vaccination card to add it to the wallet. But there’s nothing in the health app. Accept request for me to sign up to research, to give apple information about my healthcare provider and links to other health related apps.

There certainly is no button provided to “ click here for your vaccination record.”

Cannot add updated vaccine card to wallet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.