Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Backups

I save all of my photos manually to an external drive (in addition to having a backup drive.) I would like to have iCloud back up the two folders I use for my photos on that external drive. Can I set that up somehow? Also, is there a way to have those folders updated on iCloud automatically?

If not, can I drag a folder into my iCloud (just like I can do with another drive?)

Thank you.

Terri

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 5:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 4:11 PM

Hello TGold,

Thanks for reaching out to us in Apple Support Communities about saving files to your iCloud drive. We're happy to help by looking into this more! 

There is a way to save files and folders to your iCloud storage but there are limitations. The only option is your desktop and documents folders on your Mac. Saving files you have in an external drive to iCloud is not an option. Here's a resource that explains more: Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

To enable this feature:

1. From your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. In macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
2. Make sure that iCloud Drive is turned on.
3. Next to iCloud Drive, click Options.
4. Choose Desktop & Documents Folders.
5. Click Done.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2022 4:11 PM in response to TGold

Hello TGold,

Thanks for reaching out to us in Apple Support Communities about saving files to your iCloud drive. We're happy to help by looking into this more! 

There is a way to save files and folders to your iCloud storage but there are limitations. The only option is your desktop and documents folders on your Mac. Saving files you have in an external drive to iCloud is not an option. Here's a resource that explains more: Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

To enable this feature:

1. From your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences. Click Apple ID, then click iCloud. In macOS Mojave or earlier, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click iCloud.
2. Make sure that iCloud Drive is turned on.
3. Next to iCloud Drive, click Options.
4. Choose Desktop & Documents Folders.
5. Click Done.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards.

iCloud Backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.