Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone dictation not working

Dictation is not working on my iPhone Xr. I've checked all the settings, turned off & on Dictation, Siri, reset the phone. Updated the latest iOS. Still not working.

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 1:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2022 9:30 AM

Hi jmjarmoore!

If Dictation is not working properly on your iPhone, please contact Apple Support to investigate this further for you. This would be the best path forward to resolve this issue:

Contact Apple Support

Cheers!

8 replies

Oct 19, 2022 4:09 PM in response to jmjarmoore

Ok folks. Here is a TEMPORARY workaround. Try using an alternate keyboard such as English (UK) or English (Australian). You can set that up in messages by holding on the emoticon smiley face in the bottom left, then hitting keyboard settings, then add the new keyboard. If your Siri says “something went wrong” also, then change the language for Siri in settings to Canadian or UK or Australian (but keep the voice that Siri uses as American if that was your default). Works great!

Oct 12, 2022 9:08 AM in response to saoliver11

Hmm. Apple Support spent a long time with me before the final solution of having me restore my phone. Phone wouldn’t fully restore using my Mac so they made an appointment with the Genius Bar and via the tech’s laptop it restored quickly and dictation was back! A bonus was that my storage went from a near-full 61 gigs to 47 so I figure my 10Xr was “constipated.” Everything seems to be working well except that I still can’t make a video from Live Photos as I used to be able to do.

iphone dictation not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.