Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the iPhone 12 support standalone 5G?

Does the iphone 12 support standalone 5G? I have been searching and searching for weeks to find the answer to this. I am using ios 16.0.2

If not, what iphone does support standalone 5G? the 13? The 14? And what version of ios?

Thank you

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 2:55 PM

I DID ask T-Mobile. They said the iphone 12 supports SA 5G (though my phone indicates it is not supporting it) and the Galaxy app is wrong (it does say it supports it, using the same band on the same tower).

T-Mobile indeed supports SA but it is not switched on everywhere yet.

Coming here was my attempt at getting another response. I have learned over the years that T-Mobile is extremely unreliable in answering questions.

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2022 2:55 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I DID ask T-Mobile. They said the iphone 12 supports SA 5G (though my phone indicates it is not supporting it) and the Galaxy app is wrong (it does say it supports it, using the same band on the same tower).

T-Mobile indeed supports SA but it is not switched on everywhere yet.

Coming here was my attempt at getting another response. I have learned over the years that T-Mobile is extremely unreliable in answering questions.

Oct 3, 2022 2:37 PM in response to deggie

I realize when it was updated. It is wrong.

That toggle is no longer available.

The point is I am trying to find out whether I need to purchase an iphone 14 if I do want SA 5G. SA 5G was promised for the 12 two years ago, but it wouldn't be the first time Apple has broken a promise. I am just trying to find out if it is indeed available on the phone or not. Pasting google links does not help. I'm hoping to find someone who actually knows.

Thank you

Oct 3, 2022 2:27 PM in response to sberman

Thanks but I've read that link dozens of times. It is outdated. The Standalone 5G toggle is no longer available and was only there during beta testing. Others have mentioned that SA 5G has since been incorporated automatically without that toggle, while still others have made mention of SA having been abandoned until ios 16.1 is available. Ask 10 people for a clarification and you're almost assuredly going to get 10 different responses.

So I came here hoping to get a more knowledgable response.

On my 12, field test mode indicates NSA (non standalone). My Galaxy S22 indicates SA (standalone). So this would seem to indicate that the iphone 12 does not do SA 5G and the Galaxy does...right?

Well T-Mobile says the Iphone 12 does and that the app I use on my Galaxy isn't reliable (which would SEEM to indicate that perhaps neither do SA?). So WHO knows...that's why I came here...hoping to find someone who might have some insight.

Oct 3, 2022 2:39 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

If you don't know what standalone 5G means...in a nutshell, 5G is depending on the LTE network to do its switching. This is not true 5G and cannot take advantage of everything 5G has to offer.

Standalone 5G is technology that does not rely on the LTE network at all and does have many benefits. T-Mobile has the first SA 5G network and I am a T-Mobile subscriber. I just want to know if I have a phone that supports it, or if I must upgrade to the iphone 14 to get it. T-Mobile support has no clue.

Oct 3, 2022 2:46 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

I don’t know what you mean by “standalone” 5G. The 12 supports all 3 5G bands in the US version, and the the two lower bands (excluding millimeter wave) in phones sold in other markets. And, like the 13 and 14, it will revert to 4G/LTE automatically if there is no 5G signal or the 5G signal is weak.

I found this when poking around:

https://www.rcrwireless.com/20210907/5g/standalone-5g-vs-non-standalone-5g

Oct 3, 2022 2:59 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence Finch wrote:

OK, it wasn’t an issue for me because I have T-Mobile, who claim their entire 5G network is standalone. So that’s why I don’t have a switch for it.

And I have an 11 Pro which simply doesn't support 5G so, I had no clue what it was.

But the best way to find out is for the OP to ask T-Mobile.

Absolutely. And, they apparently told him that it did support it.

Oct 3, 2022 3:10 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Again, I DID ask T-Mobile. I have honestly asked T-Mobile about a dozen and a half questions during the years I have been with them and have never once gotten a correct answer. (Being very honest about that...I used to do tech support for this stuff years ago). This is why I am so skeptical about what they say.

They told me they support SA 5G with the iphone 12. Field test indicates I am NOT getting SA 5G. They also told me that although Cell Mapper indicates SA 5G using my Galaxy S22 on the same tower, same band, Cell Mapper is wrong (even though the S22 has been touted as a very reliable SA 5G phone).

Soooo...further skepticism on my part and I am sorry if I am sounding so flakey.

Again, the reason I came here was try see if I could find someone who definitively knew what the truth is.

I KNOW Apple has said SA 5G is supported on the iphone 12. But I have read dozens of articles indicating that it was only meant to do so after ios updates and many people claim those updates never came. And once again, field test mode says "NSA" and not "SA" on my phone. Some even suggest that it won't be until ios 16.1 appears before ANY of the iphones actually get the support for SA 5G.

So again, sorry if I sound flakey and I do thank everyone for the help. But I think it will be some time before this is all sorted out.

No need to reply anymore.

Does the iPhone 12 support standalone 5G?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.