Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External SSD Issue

I have MBP 16-inch 2019 with OS Monterey version 12.9. I'm running a WD SSD 1050 mbps drive with it and I am having random disconnects for no reason and when I copying big size of files is really slow. They happen as frequently. I've tried different ports on the MBP with similar results. But when I connect to another MBP 15-inch with OS Big Sur, it runs fine, which leads me to believe it's software issue, not the drive or the cable.

I've tried using safe mode SSD is not detected at all but can detect another drive i.e. HDD.

Any suggestions for a fix?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 4:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2022 12:37 PM

Greetings Ryan_Art,

To help isolate the behavior, see if file transferring works as expected while using a different macOS user account. This will help see if the issue is system-wide.

Check out those steps here: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

"Add a user

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups .
  2. If the lock at the bottom left is locked , click it to unlock the preference pane.
  3. Click the Add button  below the list of users.
  4. Click the New Account pop-up menu, then choose a type of user.
  5. For more information about the options for each type of user, click the Help button in the lower-left corner of the dialog.
  6. Enter a full name for the new user. An account name is generated automatically. To use a different account name, enter it now—you can’t change it later.
  7. Enter a password for the user, then enter it again to verify. Enter a password hint to help the user remember their password.
  8. Click Create User."

To further troubleshoot, see if there's an update available for the drive on the manufacturer's website, and test while having other peripherals disconnected. You can see those suggestions here: If a USB device doesn’t work with Mac - Apple Support

Additionally, it's expected behavior for safe mode to not detect some USB devices, as outlined here: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Kind regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2022 12:37 PM in response to Ryan_Art

Greetings Ryan_Art,

To help isolate the behavior, see if file transferring works as expected while using a different macOS user account. This will help see if the issue is system-wide.

Check out those steps here: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

"Add a user

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups .
  2. If the lock at the bottom left is locked , click it to unlock the preference pane.
  3. Click the Add button  below the list of users.
  4. Click the New Account pop-up menu, then choose a type of user.
  5. For more information about the options for each type of user, click the Help button in the lower-left corner of the dialog.
  6. Enter a full name for the new user. An account name is generated automatically. To use a different account name, enter it now—you can’t change it later.
  7. Enter a password for the user, then enter it again to verify. Enter a password hint to help the user remember their password.
  8. Click Create User."

To further troubleshoot, see if there's an update available for the drive on the manufacturer's website, and test while having other peripherals disconnected. You can see those suggestions here: If a USB device doesn’t work with Mac - Apple Support

Additionally, it's expected behavior for safe mode to not detect some USB devices, as outlined here: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Kind regards.

External SSD Issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.