Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erratic data speed through USB-C ports

I use my laptop to transfer camera cards to SSDS and have notice the I don't get consistent speeds. The same 9GB using the exact same ports and SSDs will some times take 45 secs or 3 minutes. If I retry a few minutes later with everything the same it will drop back to 45 secs. Is there something wrong with the IO board?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 8:16 AM

Those little SD card certainly are convenient for transferring data from time-to-time. But they are complex creatures inside, and their performance (as you observed) is wildly variable. There is likely nothing wrong anywhere.

If you need a speedy (or even consistent, or strongly reliable) performance, you are not using the correct media for that. SD cards are for convenience.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2022 8:16 AM in response to meatball15

Those little SD card certainly are convenient for transferring data from time-to-time. But they are complex creatures inside, and their performance (as you observed) is wildly variable. There is likely nothing wrong anywhere.

If you need a speedy (or even consistent, or strongly reliable) performance, you are not using the correct media for that. SD cards are for convenience.

Erratic data speed through USB-C ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.