Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine disk not mounting

I am having issues with a Time Machine disc. I I try to select it and get asked to Erase (which I confirm) it then fails telling me that it can't unmount the disc. Then a few minutes later get an error message saying that the disc was ejected improperly. I could run First Aid on the drive OK. But now it won't even mount.

If I run Terminal, diskutil list I can see the drive and yet it won't appear in the main GUI DiskUtil interface. I have tried another cable.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 10:20 AM

Disk Utility's First Aid may not always catch everything. I suggest that you consider using DriveDx to get a better picture of the health of this external drive. Optionally, you can post its results here if you need any assistance with interpreting it.

Of course, if it doesn't mount, even DriveDx may not be able to read it. Have you tried connecting it to another device to see if you can still access it that way?

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2022 10:20 AM in response to Roger Sinden

Disk Utility's First Aid may not always catch everything. I suggest that you consider using DriveDx to get a better picture of the health of this external drive. Optionally, you can post its results here if you need any assistance with interpreting it.

Of course, if it doesn't mount, even DriveDx may not be able to read it. Have you tried connecting it to another device to see if you can still access it that way?

Time Machine disk not mounting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.