Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading hard drive

I need to get a new hard drive for my mac as i need more room to be able to have a partitioned hard drive. My current hard drive is storage is 121 gigabyte and i really need to increase this without spending on a laptop.

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 4:51 PM

Since you did not provide the exact model Mac you have, all I can do is point you to check out OWC to see what SSD upgrade options are available (if any since most 2016+ don't have removable/upgradeable drives). If a Mac is upgradeable, OWC will have the upgrade. With most of OWC's blade SSDs the Mac will already need to have macOS 10.13+ installed so the system is using updated firmware to work with NVMe based blade SSDs.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc

You can get the exact model of the Mac by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac". You should always post the exact model of Mac as well as version of macOS being used as these are usually important bits of information for providing assistance.

FYI, I never recommend people partitioning their drives since people usually discover one or both partitions don't have enough free space. In order to resize partitions requires completely erasing the drive and starting all over again followed by restoring from a backup.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2022 4:51 PM in response to spike244

Since you did not provide the exact model Mac you have, all I can do is point you to check out OWC to see what SSD upgrade options are available (if any since most 2016+ don't have removable/upgradeable drives). If a Mac is upgradeable, OWC will have the upgrade. With most of OWC's blade SSDs the Mac will already need to have macOS 10.13+ installed so the system is using updated firmware to work with NVMe based blade SSDs.

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ssd/owc

You can get the exact model of the Mac by clicking the Apple menu and selecting "About This Mac". You should always post the exact model of Mac as well as version of macOS being used as these are usually important bits of information for providing assistance.

FYI, I never recommend people partitioning their drives since people usually discover one or both partitions don't have enough free space. In order to resize partitions requires completely erasing the drive and starting all over again followed by restoring from a backup.

Upgrading hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.