Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After opening laptop, the text is selected while I'm typing in my password.

Every time I open the laptop the password screen comes up and the cursor is shown and I begin to type my password in I get one or two characters typed and then it is all selected, so I have to start over or I would write over the first part of my password with the rest of it.

I can avoid this by waiting two or three seconds after the cursor comes up before typing.

It seems like there's a behavior that selects all text a certain time after it is woken up no matter what. If I have typed in anything before that, it gets selected, but if I wait until after, then nothing is selected and I can continue.

It's a small annoyance, but it happens many times every day and I would love to figure out why.

My Macbook is from around 2015 (and all up to date right now), and I know it never did this for years. This behavior began sometime a few years ago with one OS update or another. I wish I could be more specific, but I've just been trying to ignore the annoyance for a long time now Figured I'd finally ask to see if it happens to anyone else and if there's a fix.

Thanks,

Kevin

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 9:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 9:53 PM

Start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2022 9:53 PM in response to kdmara

Start with this...

Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode? Could take 10 minutes or more.

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches & loads safe Drivers, & prevents loading of 3rd party extensions, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

After opening laptop, the text is selected while I'm typing in my password.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.