Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does back up include app?

Does back up include apps in its backup

Posted on Oct 5, 2022 1:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2022 1:35 PM

No, it does not. Apps themselves are not included in the backup. Depending on the app, the data may be part of the backup.

See here:

What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

5 replies

Oct 10, 2022 3:53 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Yes I just read thru the Apple Support doc, thx. But as I read it, OP never mentions iCloud backup.

The reason I responded no, is because when I perform backups, it’s to a local disk on site, not iCloud.

You are correct on Apple App Store purchases concerning Applications purchased from there.

But isn’t it true when one performs Time Machine backup AND checks the local device, not iCloud that “it does back up non purchased apple App Store applications?”

thx in advance

Oct 11, 2022 6:41 AM in response to supercondr

supercondr wrote:

Yes I just read thru the Apple Support doc, thx. But as I read it, OP never mentions iCloud backup.

The OP linked here from an article on iCloud back ups.

But isn’t it true when one performs Time Machine backup AND checks the local device, not iCloud that “it does back up non purchased apple App Store applications?”

Again, given that the OP appears to have linked here from an article on iCloud backups, it seems likely that they are asking about an iPhone or iPad. If that assumption is correct on my part, Time Machine and non-App Store apps are not relevant. However, unless the OP comes back and clarifies, we may never know if my assumption is correct.

Does back up include app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.