Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging cable adapters....

Hello, I'm looking for a way- if there is one- even if it's not an Apple product, to conveniently use my MacBook Pro's 96W charger to charge both my iPhone 11 Pro Max and my iPad Pro that both use the older lightning connector being that no other charger of mine will charge my Mac.

I bought an adapter off Amazon a while back that plugged into the end of my MacBook's charging cable that converted it into lightning connector but it didn't work. I'm not sure why but after connecting the adapter to the end of the charging cable and then plugging it into my phone, it wouldn't charge and I ended up having to unplug the charger from the wall outlet just to get it to charge my laptop. I tried it again and it did the same thing- had to unplug the charger from the wall just to get it to charge my Mac again. Tried it a third time with my iPad and it did the same thing so is there an adapter or an adapter cable that will work in this manner?

An alternative- I already have a USB-C charging cable that has a male lighting connector on the other end for older Apple devices that does charge both my iPad and my iPhone from my Mac's charger but then if I went that route, I'd need an adapter to go from the male lightning connector to the male USB-C to plug into my Mac. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 5, 2022 6:21 PM

6 replies

Oct 7, 2022 9:39 AM in response to JessS19

JessS19,

I guess it is always a good idea to at least try but I just don’t think Apple would be interested in making the kind of adapter I’m looking for being that they are phasing out the lightning connector and moving to USB-C which is why I’m thinking it’s probably better to just try to find this adapter on Amazon but I don’t know what I need and I was hoping that somebody else had already tried to do this and found something that will work.

Oct 7, 2022 12:20 PM in response to deggie

You’re right, it’s gonna be an inconvenience either way because whether I find an adapter or not, something’s gonna have to get unplugged and then plugged in whenever I go from charging my Mac to my phone or my iPad and then back to my Mac.

After thinking about it, I think probably the only best option at this point would be to just look into another charger that has two outlets on it but do they even make one of those in a 96 watt charger? I guess that wouldn’t make any sense either because even if they did, just a replacement charger of the one I have is over 80 bucks so it wouldn’t be worth it to spend that kind of money just to have two charging cables plugged into it at the same time.

but I guess on a final note being that my Mac has charging capabilities also, what is the wattage of the USB-C ports on my Mac?

Oct 7, 2022 12:28 PM in response to Corneileous

I don't know which Mac you have so I couldn't answer that but you could download your manual from Apple Books and easily find out yourself.

I use the Anker Nano Pro 40W to charge my iPad Pro and iPhone when out and about: https://www.anker.com/products/a2038?currency=USD&variant=40966608453782&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=us_anker_conversion_bing_shopping_purchase_ost&utm_term=414137464_1312818264519152_82051359336660&utm_content=all&msclkid=6232e064305b1d99fe4783244d2b63a1

Charging cable adapters....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.