Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup of unlocking macbook pro m1 with apple watch 8 fail

I just get info that macbook can't communicate with apple watch.

on both devices bluetooth and wifi are turned ON, I have try to restart macbook pro and still the same problem. Watch was on my hand and unlocked, iphone was next to macbook and unlocked...

watch unlock iphone without a problem, but I can't set it up for macbook.

did anyone had the same problem?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 11:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 5:09 AM

I have exactly the same issue with an older generation macbook air, I have been fighting with it for days, its like it just doesnt see the watch, the phone and the watch are fine and talk to each other.

I have tried purging the auto connect items from keychain, repairing the apple watch with the phone, resetting the watch entirely and starting from scratch, disabling and enabling the handoff functions and various combinations of airplane mode and bluetooth on and off and wireless on and off on the different devices.

I have signed out from my apple ID on all the devices and signed back in and it still just says it was unable to communicate with my apple watch, I am guessing something is broken in this functionality with the newest watches because it worked rock steady with my older series 5 watch.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 10, 2022 5:09 AM in response to mate100

I have exactly the same issue with an older generation macbook air, I have been fighting with it for days, its like it just doesnt see the watch, the phone and the watch are fine and talk to each other.

I have tried purging the auto connect items from keychain, repairing the apple watch with the phone, resetting the watch entirely and starting from scratch, disabling and enabling the handoff functions and various combinations of airplane mode and bluetooth on and off and wireless on and off on the different devices.

I have signed out from my apple ID on all the devices and signed back in and it still just says it was unable to communicate with my apple watch, I am guessing something is broken in this functionality with the newest watches because it worked rock steady with my older series 5 watch.

Oct 7, 2022 5:41 PM in response to mate100

Hi mate100,

Let's make sure both the Apple Watch and Mac meet the system requirements to use the feature, but viewing the information here: System requirements for Continuity on Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

If they both meet the requirements, then let's make sure it is setup properly by completing the steps below that are also listed here: Unlock your Mac with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

How to set up Auto Unlock
1. Make sure that your Mac and Apple Watch meet the system requirements for Auto Unlock.
2. Make sure that your devices are set up as follows:
• Your Mac has Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on.
• Your Mac and Apple Watch are signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID, and your Apple ID is using two-factor authentication.
• Your Apple Watch is using a passcode.
3. Choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Security & Privacy. Select ”Use your Apple Watch to unlock apps and your Mac” or ”Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac.”
If you're not sure whether your Mac supports Auto Unlock, press and hold the Option key while choosing Apple menu > System Information. Select Wi-Fi in the sidebar, then look for ”Auto Unlock: Supported” on the right:

Best regards

Oct 10, 2022 2:28 AM in response to K_Wall44

Dear K_Wall44

thank you for the answer but I have already check all that and done everything:

same appleID is on all my devices (MacBook pro 2021, Applewatch 8 and iPhone 13pro)

Macbook pro support autounlock

wifi and bluetooth are turned ON on macbook pro (same on watch), watch is connected via bluetooth to iphone, wifi is ON but it is not connected to wifi network

I have to enter password on watch when I put it on my hand

and when I go to Preferences and want to turn on unlock with watch I get info "Your Mac was unable to communicate with your apple watch".

I do have setup to unlock iphone with watch adn that works great, should I remove that?

Setup of unlocking macbook pro m1 with apple watch 8 fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.