Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Service cleaning for my mac is very expensive, but should i still get it?

I have been using my Macbook Air for two years with heavy usage every day. I am planning on it getting service cleaned (internal fans and fins getting dusted out, and thermal paste replacement)

But the problem is, it is pretty expensive in my area; 42 dollars in an AASP known as iStore.

It is pretty expensive in my opinion, I know this price is what it is because of a few factors:

Expensive device = Expensive service/maintenance

Legitimate Apple Authorized service provider = expensive service

But this is only regular maintenance. And in my opinion, the price is pretty expensive. Is it worth it?

I'm planning on getting it service cleaned by December because I'm currently saving up for it.

Is the price reasonable and worth it? Is it risk free?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 6:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 9:31 AM

The processor has an internal sensor. When on-chip temperatures approach 100 degrees C, it will do an uncontrolled emergency power-off to preclude heat damage.

As long as it is operating under that limit, no routine maintenance is required.

Apple does not require the items you describe for "routine maintenance". Your Mac is designed for trouble-free operation, so that you can do your important work without having to keep fiddling with the computer.

If instead, the internal condition of your computer is causing you anguish, consuming your attention, and causing you to worry, then then no amount of money is too much to pay for peace-of-mind.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2022 9:31 AM in response to Cyflor-N-Ac

The processor has an internal sensor. When on-chip temperatures approach 100 degrees C, it will do an uncontrolled emergency power-off to preclude heat damage.

As long as it is operating under that limit, no routine maintenance is required.

Apple does not require the items you describe for "routine maintenance". Your Mac is designed for trouble-free operation, so that you can do your important work without having to keep fiddling with the computer.

If instead, the internal condition of your computer is causing you anguish, consuming your attention, and causing you to worry, then then no amount of money is too much to pay for peace-of-mind.

Oct 7, 2022 9:59 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Well said. Just a few last questions :)

1. Will getting it cleaned actually have any benefit for my computer? And judging from my photo, would it be any noticeable?

I like my macbook to run cool, and have good CPU performance. So if performance is reduced because of thermal throttling due to dust trapping heat. I wouldn't like that.

1. what do you mean by "Apple does not require the items you describe for "routine maintenance"?
  2. I have read alot that keeping the fans clean or changing thermal paste every like 3 years or so could keep the it's lifespan for a heavy used computer. Well, Is it true that keeping it clean in the insides (fans especially) is good maintenance for a macbook that is used heavily? (High CPU usage frequently)

(Sorry if i sound a bit dumb, i'm just curious.)

Oct 7, 2022 7:16 AM in response to leroydouglas

No issues so far, BUT i took a look at the vents with a flashlight and this is what I found.

It looks pretty dusty. Getting it cleaned could make it run coller and smoothly again.

After a bunch of research i thought a heavily used macbook should have it's fans regularly cleaned as it accumulated dust? Or the built-in thermal paste Apple puts in these laptops is low quality?

(Macbook Air 13" 2017 model purchased in 2018)

Oct 7, 2022 7:02 AM in response to Cyflor-N-Ac

Cyflor-N-Ac wrote:

I have been using my Macbook Air for two years with heavy usage every day. I am planning on it getting service cleaned (internal fans and fins getting dusted out, and thermal paste replacement)
But the problem is, it is pretty expensive in my area; 42 dollars in an AASP known as iStore.

It is pretty expensive in my opinion, I know this price is what it is because of a few factors:
Expensive device = Expensive service/maintenance
Legitimate Apple Authorized service provider = expensive service

But this is only regular maintenance. And in my opinion, the price is pretty expensive. Is it worth it?
I'm planning on getting it service cleaned by December because I'm currently saving up for it.
Is the price reasonable and worth it? Is it risk free?

Are you having an associated issue?

You do not say anything about what exact MacBook Air 13″....

so..impossible to give you any advice here.

I certainly have never done this to any of my 6 notebook Mac's I ever owned since 1995...YMMV

Oct 7, 2022 8:50 AM in response to John Galt

But won't it prevent any problems that *could* happen? Like too much dust that could result in fan failure?

Is it not also true that the more often the fan is turned on, the more dust accumulates?

Is it not also true that regular maintenance can make the mac run At it's the best performance and much cooler?

When the mac is opened up, i will take a look at how much dust has been accumulated to see how often i should get it cleaned.

Oct 7, 2022 9:01 AM in response to Cyflor-N-Ac

Macs adjust their fan speeds based on measured temperatures. When too much dust accumulates, measured temperatures will be higher, and even more air will need to be moved to provide adequate cooling. Eventually, it could start to sound like a vacuum cleaner. As long as it is NOT also overheating and shutting down, no service is necessary.

Service cleaning for my mac is very expensive, but should i still get it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.