Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A simple question - what is a photocast?

I have used iPhoto for years without coming across the term 'photocast'. I am now trying to use Dashcode and find the term constantly referred to, however I cannot find any definition of the term anywhere. I realise it probably seems to be a stupid question but I would welcome an explanation.

iMac 27" Intel, iMac 24" Intel, G4 Powerbook, Mac OS X (10.6.4), printer, scanner, ATVs, external hard drives, USB DAC

Posted on Aug 13, 2010 6:03 AM

8 replies

Aug 13, 2010 11:32 AM in response to zanyjudy

A photocast is simply a feed with photos (as opposed to a podcast in iTunes) on the internet.
You add photos to it and others subscribe to view the photos.

With iPhoto, you can create a photocast and publish it to your MobileMe account. You add/delete pictures as you want (thru iPhoto).
Others can subscribe to it and simply open iPhoto to see (and download) the photos in your photocast.

Aug 13, 2010 12:12 PM in response to zanyjudy

The photocast was discontinued with iPhoto 7. iPhoto 6 was the last version to use it. Only iPhoto users are able to subscribe and view photos in photocasts. It's similar to subscribing to a MMe gallery and was replaced by MMe galleries so that non-Mac users could view the photos as well.

UPDATE: Actually you can determine the rss feed by going to your iDisk/Web/Site/iPhoto folder and getting the path to the index.rss file in the album folder of the photocast. It would be http://web.me.com/MMeAccount_Name/iPhoto/AlbumName/index.rss.

I made a quick test photocast with my old iPhoto 6 library and it came thru as http://web.me.com/toad.hall/iPhoto/v6pc/index.rss. Several of the thumbnails don't show for some reason in the test.

User uploaded file
OT

Message was edited by: Old Toad

A simple question - what is a photocast?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.