Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does this mean on mac apps?

A few days ago, i installed the microsoft 365 apps to replace the Numbers, Keynote, and pages. I signed in using my school account and tried to open OneNote for the first time but it just stood still and a question mark is displayed on the app icon and it will not open or do anything. I am going to assume this is already answered, but i am very new to mac and this is the first time installing the apps. Is there any solution?

Thanks, moronX

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2022 3:47 PM

Where was the App icon with a Question mark?

If in the Dock (similar to Taskbar), that means it doesn't know where the app is located.

Open your Applications folder and look for OneNote. In Finder, use the cmd-shift-A shortcut to open the Applications folder.

Does OneNote (probably Microsoft OneNote) show up there?

If you can open the app from there (double-click), hold down the command key and drag the question mark out of the Dock until you see Remove appear....drop it.

Ctrl+click on the OneNote icon in the Dock and choose Keep in Dock from the Options submenu.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2022 3:47 PM in response to MoronX

Where was the App icon with a Question mark?

If in the Dock (similar to Taskbar), that means it doesn't know where the app is located.

Open your Applications folder and look for OneNote. In Finder, use the cmd-shift-A shortcut to open the Applications folder.

Does OneNote (probably Microsoft OneNote) show up there?

If you can open the app from there (double-click), hold down the command key and drag the question mark out of the Dock until you see Remove appear....drop it.

Ctrl+click on the OneNote icon in the Dock and choose Keep in Dock from the Options submenu.

Oct 7, 2022 3:10 PM in response to MoronX

The question mark on the translucent bar, means the shortcut created for it no longer exists in the location desired. If you click on the icon, and select options, and select Open in Finder, and it doesn't go anywhere, it likely got moved.

Don't confuse images used for installation with actual folders.

Here is an example of a self contained disk image file. Much like zip archives they hold the entire contents of installers and applications for transmitting across the internet

When I open the disk image, its title has a disk icon with the file inside. This should be dragged into your applications folder on your hard drive. You can also use the Go menu to open Applications in a separate window to do it:

Once in Applications, then you drag it to the Dock, so its shortcut is there. The original is retained in the applications folder and inside the image. When you next restart the machine or eject the disk image, you'll only be able to access it from the Dock or Applications folder. If you don't get it in the Applications folder, and try to use it only from the Dock after opening it from the image, it will put a question mark, because the image is dismounted and it can't find the application without you opening the image first.

What does this mean on mac apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.